Someone please explain this physics concept

In summary, my teacher had a long metal pole (I believe it was aluminum) and said that it was NOT magnetized. He put a magnet up to the side of the pole and it did not stick, and he dropped a marker through the top of the pole and the marker came out the bottom at a normal rate. However, when he took a magnet and dropped it through the top of the pole, it took a long time for it to come out, maybe 10 seconds. Then it just slipped out the bottom.
eddy10188
My teacher had a long metal pole (I believe it was aluminum) and said that it was NOT magnetized. He put a magnet up to the side of the pole and it did not stick, and he dropped a marker through the top of the pole and the marker came out the bottom at a normal rate. However, when he took a magnet and dropped it through the top of the pole, it took a long time for it to come out, maybe 10 seconds. Then it just slipped out the bottom.

Some one please explain this phenomenon, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

Sounds like this may be part of your assignment, to figure out why there is a difference. What are your thoughts? Why would there be a difference between holding the magnet stationary against the non-ferrous metal, versus sliding it along next to the metal?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Sounds like this may be part of your assignment, to figure out why there is a difference. What are your thoughts? Why would there be a difference between holding the magnet stationary against the non-ferrous metal, versus sliding it along next to the metal?

Oh sorry I should have explained..

The only thing I can really think of is that it that the magnet might be trying to set up a magnetic field inside of the pole. It also could be that the pole has a much smaller area for the magnet to go through so it is experiencing the effects of its own field but then again I am not sure that is true..

eddy10188 said:
Oh sorry I should have explained..

The only thing I can really think of is that it that the magnet might be trying to set up a magnetic field inside of the pole. It also could be that the pole has a much smaller area for the magnet to go through so it is experiencing the effects of its own field but then again I am not sure that is true..

Boy, it's hard to give a hint on this question without giving the answer away.

I'll try this, but it may still be too much. Use Google or Wikipedia.org to learn how magnetic brakes work...

1. What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they actually have different meanings in physics. Speed refers to how fast an object is moving, while velocity refers to how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. In other words, velocity takes into account both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

2. Can you explain the concept of inertia?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. This means that an object at rest will remain at rest unless acted upon by an external force, and an object in motion will continue moving at a constant speed and direction unless acted upon by an external force. Inertia is related to an object's mass, with more massive objects having greater inertia.

3. How does gravity work?

Gravity is the force of attraction between two objects with mass. The strength of this force depends on the mass of the objects and the distance between them. The more massive the objects, the stronger the force of gravity between them. Additionally, the closer the objects are to each other, the stronger the force of gravity.

4. What is the difference between potential and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is stored energy that an object has due to its position or configuration, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. A common example is a roller coaster - at the top of a hill, it has a high amount of potential energy, but as it moves down the hill, this energy is converted into kinetic energy.

5. How does the conservation of energy work?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time. For example, when a ball is dropped, its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as it falls, but the total amount of energy in the system remains the same.