Something's wrong in < Intro to QM >, by Griffiths

In summary, the group discusses the concept of shadows and how they move in relation to light sources. They mention Griffiths' theory about the velocity of shadows being proportional to the distance between the light source and the shadow, and also discuss the concept of "slash tunnel" and its relationship to light. There is also a question about transmitting information faster than the speed of light, which is answered by stating that the shadow will not be a straight line but a spiral shape at great distances.
liumylife
Hi, I am Liu, a undergraduate in mainland China, I post out this idea and want to
see how you gentleman think, here it is:

Griffiths says, in his book < Introduction to Quantum Mechanics >, if an insect fly
in a path perpendicular to the direction in which lightbeam goes, the velocity of
its shadow is proportional to the distance between light source and shadow.

I think the problem is, the velocity of insect's shadow is same as insect's v.

From perspective of wave theory, you can draw a picture below:

--Goal plane---
|||\ \|||||||||
||||\ \||||||||
|||||\ \|||||||
||2|||\1\|||2||
|||||||\ \|||||
||||||||\ \||||
||||||||||->||
            V
Two parts of the space is divided, 1 is for in which light doesn't exist, opposite the 2,
and is the insect.
Now think of the move of "slash tunnel", it is like "be pushed by light", hence the end of
the tunnel, or the shadow, is moving at the insect's speed on the goal plane.
Am I right?

Sorry for grammar error, if any.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It would be true for Griffith if he is talking about a central light source that radiates spherically - the rays are not parallel.

In your case you have parallel light rays, so in your case your version is true.

Thank you for replying, I get it.

So further question, once you have a shadow traveling with v larger than
speed of light, we now set a negative film far far away, rolling like a tape,
and shot bullets in front of the source in certain frequencies, meanwhile we
are very lucky that there's a supercomputer interpreting those shadow
frequencies into human language, didn't we just give information over the
speed of light ?

What you think the answer is to this question may help: A radio station is transmitting information in all directions. If houses A, B, and C are all 50 km from the station and are the vertices of an equilateral triangle with the station at its center, can one say that information received at A was transmitted faster than the speed of light to B and C?

Right, that is much clearer. Thanks.

liumylife said:
Thank you for replying, I get it.

So further question, once you have a shadow traveling with v larger than
speed of light, we now set a negative film far far away, rolling like a tape,
and shot bullets in front of the source in certain frequencies, meanwhile we
are very lucky that there's a supercomputer interpreting those shadow
frequencies into human language, didn't we just give information over the
speed of light ?

The shadow will not be a straight like but, at great distances, a spiral shape, spreading outward at the speed of light. A distant receiver will see flashes (as from a lighthouse) and there timing will be delayed due to the transit time for the light.

liumylife said:
Right, that is much clearer. Thanks.

Clearer in that I've restated your problem, or in that you saw my point? :-)

James_Harford said:
Clearer in that I've restated your problem, or in that you saw my point? :-)
I saw your point. Thank you, everyone.

Last edited:

1. What is the book "Intro to QM" by Griffiths about?

The book "Intro to QM" by Griffiths is an introduction to quantum mechanics, which is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level.

2. Who is the target audience for this book?

The target audience for this book is undergraduate students studying physics or related fields, as well as anyone interested in learning about the fundamentals of quantum mechanics.

3. What makes this book stand out from other textbooks on quantum mechanics?

This book by Griffiths is known for its clear and concise explanations of complex concepts, and its use of real-world examples to help readers understand the material. It also includes a wide range of problems and exercises to enhance understanding and critical thinking skills.

4. Do I need any prior knowledge or background in physics to understand this book?

A basic understanding of classical physics and mathematics is recommended, but the book does not assume any prior knowledge of quantum mechanics.

5. Is this book suitable for self-study or is it better to use it as a textbook in a classroom setting?

This book can be used for both self-study and as a textbook in a classroom setting. It includes many examples and exercises, making it suitable for independent learning, but it can also be used as a textbook for a course on quantum mechanics.