Momentum Operator question - Proof found in Intro to Griffiths QM

In summary, the conversation is about a confusion regarding the momentum operator in the Griffiths Intro to QM book. The person is trying to understand why the second term in the equation for the time derivative of the position operator is integrated by parts, while the first term is not. Another person explains that by performing integration by parts, the two terms become equal and the factor of 2 disappears. This clears up the confusion for the original person.
srabate
Hi all

I am trying to go through the Griffiths Intro to QM book and I'm afraid I'm already stumped!

He determines the momentum operator by beginning with the following equation:

[itex]<x>=\int_{-\infty}^\infty {x|\psi(x)|^2}[/itex]

He takes the time derivative and manipulates the integral:
(I'm skipping a few steps because I thought they made sense. If you want me to type them up I will)

[itex]\frac{d<x>}{dt} = -\frac{i\hbar}{2m}\int_{-\infty}^\infty {\psi^\ast(x)\frac{\partial\psi(x)}{\partial x} - \psi(x)\frac{\partial\psi^\ast(x)}{\partial x}}dx[/itex]

Then, he randomly says "Performing integration by parts on the second term, we conclude: "

[itex]\frac{d<x>}{dt} = -\frac{i\hbar}{m}\int_{-\infty}^\infty {\psi^\ast(x)\frac{\partial\psi(x)}{\partial x}dx}[/itex]

Why do we not perform integration by parts on the first term? I feel like I'm missing something really stupid. Is there some sort of assumption that would allow us to combine the first and second terms? (which would explain why the 2m becomes just m).

Thank you!
Abate

p.s. attached are the two pages from griffiths where this is found.

Attachments

• Momentum_GriffithsQM.pdf
    124.7 KB · Views: 344
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

All you have to note is that by performing integration by parts for the second term:
[itex]\int_{- \infty}^{+ \infty} \psi \frac{ \partial \psi^* } {\partial x} \mathrm d x = 0 + \int_{- \infty}^{+ \infty} \psi^* \frac{ \partial \psi } {\partial x} \mathrm d x[/itex]
which is equal to the first term. This explain the disappearance of the factor 2.

(You could've also done integration by parts on the first term instead, in which case you would've gotten the same as the 2nd term.)

of course! I have no idea how I didn't see that.

Thanks!

Related to Momentum Operator question - Proof found in Intro to Griffiths QM

1. What is the momentum operator in quantum mechanics?

The momentum operator in quantum mechanics is a mathematical operator that represents the observable quantity of momentum in a quantum system. It is denoted by the symbol p and is defined as the product of the mass of a particle and its velocity. In quantum mechanics, the momentum operator is represented by the differential operator -iħ(d/dx), where ħ is the reduced Planck's constant and d/dx is the derivative with respect to position.

2. How is the momentum operator derived in quantum mechanics?

The momentum operator is derived from the classical definition of momentum, which is the product of mass and velocity. In quantum mechanics, physical observables are represented by operators, which can be derived from their corresponding classical observables by replacing the classical variables with their quantum mechanical counterparts. In the case of momentum, the classical variables of mass and velocity are replaced with their quantum counterparts, giving us the momentum operator -iħ(d/dx).

3. What is the significance of the momentum operator in quantum mechanics?

The momentum operator is a fundamental operator in quantum mechanics and is used to describe the momentum of a particle in a quantum system. It is an important quantity as it is related to the uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely the momentum of a particle is known, the less precisely its position can be known, and vice versa.

4. How is the momentum operator used in quantum mechanics?

The momentum operator is used in quantum mechanics to calculate the momentum of a particle in a quantum system. It is also used to calculate the expectation value of momentum, which gives the average value of momentum for a given quantum state. The momentum operator is also used in the Schrödinger equation, which is used to describe the time evolution of a quantum system.

5. Can the momentum operator be measured in experiments?

No, the momentum operator itself cannot be measured in experiments. In quantum mechanics, the momentum operator is a mathematical representation of the observable quantity of momentum. Only the eigenvalues of the momentum operator, which represent the possible values of momentum that can be measured, can be observed in experiments. The act of measuring the momentum of a particle with precision would also change its position, making it impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle simultaneously.