Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sommerfeld lectures on theoretical physics

1. May 10, 2010 #1
    I want to read Sommerfed Lectures on Theoretical Physics. I started with vol.1 Mechanics.

Just wondering if anyone here has read any of the vols? Or perhaps wants to read them in the future?

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2010 #2

Jano L.

Gold Member

Hi becko,
    few months ago I discovered this course in library and I like it for its motivating character - it has many interesting comments apart from the equations and it is not too technical. I would like to read it as well, but it is hard find a motivation to do such a self study. So maybe we can go through it together? Where are you now in Mechanics? I can try to take on...

Jano

4. May 25, 2010 #3
    I had to put off Mechanics for a while (had to prioritize other stuff at school). But I'll take it again in about two weeks. I only had time to complete chapter 1. In the summer I will be able to go on uninterrupted. I'm determined to go through all the vols of the series (at least up to the fifth, since I haven't found the 6th). It will be great to have a partner!!

I found the first chapter crystal clear. I'm convinced it will be worthwhile.

I'll PM you with my email address.

5. Sep 7, 2010 #4
    So I have started Mechanics again. I'm now on the 4th chapter and I hope I will go through to the end this time. If anyone is also reading these books, or has read them in the past, please reply to this post, or PM me. From time to time I get stuck at places and it would be very helpful to count with the assistance of someone who knows what I'm talking about when I reference a particular page or section.

And Jano L, maybe you are still interested in reading Sommerfeld?

6. Sep 11, 2010 #5

Jano L.

Gold Member

Hi Becko,
    in fact I just came home and finally have some free time. so I can spend some time with sommerfeld. I'll let you know if I find something interesting. Have fun,
    Jano

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook