Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sommerfeld uncertainty principle

1. Oct 19, 2013 #1

arivero

Gold Member

Ok, I knew that Heisenberg had studied under Arnold Sommerfeld, but I have just now learnt that Sommerfeld proposed a sort of uncertainty principle in the first Solvay meeting.

That was 1911.

It seems that he proposed that the time needed to transfer a quantity of energy was inversely proportional to this quantity, and perhaps that the space needed to transfer some momentum was inversely proportional to this momentum. IE:

[tex]
    \Delta t = { h \over \Delta E}
    [/tex]

and perhaps

[tex]
    \Delta x = { h \over \Delta p}
    [/tex]

I wonder if there was some extension of this idea before coming to Heisenberg himself (and his principle). After all, from 1911 to 1927 there is some time lag. Also, I wonder how compatible is this idea with the later developed Quantum Mechanics.

Is there some book naming explicitly this formulation?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2013 #2

arivero

Gold Member

Let me add, suppose that for instance some Banking System imposes a "corralito" following the above rule, that the transfer of a quantity $ of money must be delayed always by a time proportional to 1/log($) the inverse of the number of ceros of the quantity to be transferred. Would we get then a "quantum economy"? It seems strange because there is not probability nor measure problem here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook