Sound in winter and in the summer

In summary, the sound of everyday street noise seems to be louder in the winter due to the air being colder and the molecules being easier to displace, resulting in less energy being lost in the wave's journey to reach you. On warmer days, the air is more rigid and the sound wave travels faster, resulting in less energy and a quieter sound.
dg240
Hello,

I've had a question about sound for a while and finally I found this forum of enthusiasts - so here goes: I notice in the winter the everyday street noise seems to be quite loud. Every time there is a warmer day, and when spring/summer comes, it seems more quiet, more peaceful. Why is that? Is it because the frequencies of sound are higher, and therefore we hear less of the noise? I am not a physicist, but I like to learn... so I hope my questions here won't sound too elementary;) Thank you,

DG

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

The qualities of the medium in which a wave is traveling basically determines the qualities of the wave. When the air is warmer, the molecules are all hitting each other more often then they would on a colder day, and hence they are not as easily shifted as when colder. This is related to how the pressure is higher when the temperature is higher. The sound wave is essentially energy, and the sound that reaches you is the result of the wave after having traveled thru whatever it had to get thru to get to you. In the case of warmer, more rigid air, the wave travels faster, but it lost more energy in shifting the molecules than in the case of a winter day, during which the air molecules would be easier to displace. The final energy of the sound wave is going to be related to its amplitude, which is how loud it seems to you. I've noticed this phenomenon myself and have thought about it before.

Related to Sound in winter and in the summer

What causes sound to travel differently in winter and summer?

In winter, the air is generally colder and denser, which causes sound waves to travel faster and farther. In summer, the air is warmer and less dense, causing sound waves to travel slower and not as far.

Why does sound seem louder in winter?

The colder temperatures in winter cause sound waves to propagate more efficiently and with less absorption, making it seem louder. The snow-covered ground also reflects and amplifies sound, contributing to the perception of increased volume.

How does humidity affect sound in winter and summer?

In winter, lower humidity levels can cause sound waves to travel farther and with less distortion. In summer, higher humidity levels can absorb sound and make it seem quieter.

Do sound waves behave differently in winter and summer?

Yes, sound waves can behave differently in winter and summer due to changes in air temperature, humidity, and ground conditions. These factors can affect the speed, distance, and perceived loudness of sound.

Can sound travel further in winter than in summer?

Yes, colder temperatures in winter can cause sound waves to travel faster and farther, while warmer temperatures in summer can slow down and absorb sound waves, limiting their range.