1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sound wave confusion

1. Nov 29, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In general, if a sound has intensity of beta dB at 1 m from the source, at what distance d_0 from the source would the decibel level decrease to 0 dB? Since the limit of hearing is 1 dB this would mean you could no longer hear it.
    Express the distance in terms of beta. Be careful about your signs!

I know that the relationship between the intensity and distance is an inverse square relationship, but i'm not sure what exactly the question is looking for. Do i have to find the distance when it goes to 0 or to 1 ? Because if that is zero, then even after 100m, the intensity wouldnt be zero ?

im confused !

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2007 #2
    anyone ?

4. Nov 29, 2007 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are right, the intensity won't fall to zero. But there is a log in the relation between dB and intensity.

5. Nov 30, 2007 #4
    so how do i get it to zero ? i mean keep on increasing distance till log of it = 0, and how do i write it in terms of beta ? :S

6. Nov 30, 2007 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, let 'I' be the intensity at 1m and 'I0' be the intensity at 0dB. dB=10*log(I/I0) (all logs base 10). So beta=10*log(I/I0). You know at distance Rm the intensity becomes I/R^2. So 0=10*log((I/I0)/R^2). Now use a property of logs.

7. Nov 30, 2007 #6
    Why do you say the limit of hearing is 1 dB?

8. Nov 30, 2007 #7

thanks a ton ! finally got it .... this one was a bugger ! thanks again...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?