1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sound wave in a tube of air with holes (lab)

1. Nov 26, 2011 #1

dba

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I had a Physics lab with the following setting:
    A signal generator is connected to a speaker which is located on one end of a tube. This creates the sound wave. The tube is open on both ends.
    A micro is movable along the tube and it is connected to an occsilator which displays the sinusoidal wave. With the micro I could find the nodes (no sound) of a standing wave.
    My length of the tube is L=0.9m
    Now we are in mode n=2 where I have my node in the middle at about 0.45m at a frequency of about 360Hz. I can calculate the wavelength which is 2L/n = 0.9m and the speed of sound in air v = wavelength * frequency. So far I understand.
    The tube has 3 holes, one at the center and the other two in the middle of the center and the ends. So the holes divide the tube in 4 parts.

Now I have to open the hole in the center with the result that the sound is louder (amplitude goes up).
    I close the center hole and open the other 2 holes. The sound becomes softer and the frequency it throws off the frequency.

My question why is that? Why does it become louder when I open a hole at a node and why does the sound becomes softer when I open the holw which is not at a node?
    Thanks!

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to understand what happens when I open a hole of the tube. I thought I would shorten the length L of the tube and would receive a new fundamental harmonic which would give me a higher frequency and therefore a higher pitch. I am not sure why the amplitude goes up. and I totally do not understand why there is a difference in opening a hole where there is a node located or not.

Thanks for any hint!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted