Modeling a Matched HF Circuit with SPICE: The Role of Source Resistance

In summary, the best way to simulate a HF circuit matched to 50 ohm is to use an RF voltage source with a series 50 ohm resistor and a transmission line model for the coax cable. The antenna can be modelled with a complex impedance at the end of the transmission line. Adding more detail, such as a representation of the transmitting amplifier, can improve the accuracy of the simulation. The 50 ohm output impedance of the source does not affect the equivalent resistance connected in series with the source.
temujin
Dear Group,

I need to simulate a HF circuit (matched to 50 ohm ) connected (via a 50 ohm coax cable) to a signal source with 50 ohm output resistance.
Simulating this with e.g. Spice, should I use a 50 ohm resistor in series with the source?

Does the fact that the source is matched to 50 ohm output resistance have anything to do with any equivalent resistance connected in series with the source?

hope I managed to express myself properly here

regards
doneirik

Engineering news on Phys.org
temujin said:
should I use a 50 ohm resistor in series with the source?
doneirik
I am surprised you do not include an antenna at the end of your 50 ohm coax, otherwise you really don't have a load attached to your HF circuit. Yes you can use a 50 ohm resistor to model the 50 ohm coax and matched antenna. In practise that is called a "dummy load".

Last edited:
Actually I do include the antenna...(I am afraid to write antenna because I´m working on magnetically coupled RFID, not really antennas...)...I was actually wondering about how to depict the source...

So if I use a 50 ohm resistor to model the load and the coax cable, is this resistor also modeling the 50ohm output impedance of the source? I think this 50ohm output impedance has nothing to do with the source´inner resistance, but I´m not sure...

regards
doneirik

temujin said:
Actually I do include the antenna...(I am afraid to write antenna because I´m working on magnetically coupled RFID, not really antennas...)...I was actually wondering about how to depict the source...

So if I use a 50 ohm resistor to model the load and the coax cable, is this resistor also modeling the 50ohm output impedance of the source? I think this 50ohm output impedance has nothing to do with the source´inner resistance, but I´m not sure...

regards
doneirik
The simple SPICE model would have an ideal RF voltage source with a series 50 Ohm resistor to model the RF signal source, and that drives a 50 Ohm resistor to ground to model the transmission line and its termination (the antenna if it is well matched to the 50 Ohm coax).

The next level of modelling would have the same RF source (ideal AC voltage source and 50 Ohm series output impedance), and you would use a transmission line model in SPICE to model the coax, and you would use a complex impedance at the end to model your antenna. That way you would get a more accurate view of the SWR and power radiated.

You can also add more detail to your SPICE model by doing a more accurate representation of the transmitting amplifier as well, instead of just the ideal RF voltage source and 50 Ohm output impedance.

Related to Modeling a Matched HF Circuit with SPICE: The Role of Source Resistance

What is source (inner) resistance?

Source (inner) resistance, also known as internal resistance, is the inherent opposition to the flow of electric current within a source, such as a battery or a power supply.

Why is source (inner) resistance important to consider?

Source resistance affects the voltage output of a source when a load is connected to it. As current flows through the source's internal resistance, it causes a voltage drop, resulting in a lower output voltage. This can affect the performance of electronic devices connected to the source.

What factors affect the value of source (inner) resistance?

The value of source resistance depends on the type and construction of the source. For example, batteries typically have higher internal resistance compared to power supplies. The age and condition of the source can also affect its internal resistance.

How is source (inner) resistance measured?

Source resistance can be measured by connecting a known load to the source and measuring the voltage drop across the load. The internal resistance can then be calculated using Ohm's law (R = V/I), where R is the internal resistance, V is the voltage drop, and I is the current flowing through the load.

How can source (inner) resistance be minimized?

To minimize source resistance, it is important to use high-quality sources with lower internal resistance. Proper maintenance and regular replacement of old sources can also help reduce internal resistance. Additionally, using thicker wires and shorter connections can minimize the resistance in the circuit.