1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Space Based Solar Power Generation.

1. Dec 11, 2009 #1

uart

Science Advisor

I know that this has been proposed as a possibility for large scale power generation for many years, but according to this new article it seems that at least one power company is very serious about getting this up and running in the very near future.

Any thoughts on this? Do you think it will be successful?

See : http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/12/11/2769652.htm?section=justin

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2009 #2
    This would be amazing! you can get soooo much more solar energy from space than here on earth, and there would be no clouds to block the sun, although with the rotating of earth I dont know how it would stay in the sun light unless it wasnt in geosynconism or however you spell it ha ha

Sincerely,
    FoxCommander

4. Dec 13, 2009 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Power companies are, for the most part, requried by law to buy power from anyone who generates it, so the fact that the power company has agreed to buy the power is completely meaningless. It doesn't tell us anything at all about how viable the project is.

5. Apr 3, 2010 #4
    Yes we can, and have. For many years a "solar" powered microwave power receiver ran successfully in the parking lot of the pentagon. It was removed some years ago I didn't hear that it fried anyone. Seems if a space rock tapped it it might light something up needs a good kill switch on-board auto off if misaligned.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook