Is the set of even functions in C([-1,1],R) closed and dense in C([-1,1],R)?

In summary, the question asks to show that the set of even functions in the space of continuous functions on [-1,1] is closed but not dense. This can be proven by showing that a sequence of even functions converges to an even function, but the definition of an even function in this setting is not clear. However, if we consider even functions to be those that are symmetric about the y-axis, the proof is straightforward.
benjamin111

Homework Statement

Let Ce([0,1], R) be the set of even functions in C([0,1], R), show that Ce is closed and not dense in C.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I can solve this if I can show that even functions converge to even functions, but I can't quite figure out how to go about doing this...

Physics news on Phys.org
This question does not make sense to me.

A function is "even" is f(t)=f(-t). Here, for any t in (0,1], -t is out of [0,1] and thus f(-t) is not even defined.

What do you mean by even?

What does C([0,1],R) mean?

That would be the space of continuous functions on [0,1] no doubt.

But do you see what it means for a fct to be even in this setting? :confused:

I was wondering if it could mean continuous functions from [0,1]xR->R with 'even' meaning f(x,y)=f(x,-y). The failure of the question to make any obvious sense otherwise was giving me doubts.

I'm sorry all. I meant that the space is [-1,1] rather than [0,1]. Sorry again and do appreciate any help.

benjamin111 said:
I'm sorry all. I meant that the space is [-1,1] rather than [0,1]. Sorry again and do appreciate any help.

Then it's super easy. Take a sequence of even functions f_i converging to a function f. Take any point x, then f_i(x)->f(x) and f_i(-x)->f(-x). Need I say more?

1. What is the space of continuous functions?

The space of continuous functions, denoted by C(X), is a mathematical concept that refers to the set of all functions that are continuous on a given interval or domain X. It is a fundamental concept in mathematical analysis and has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How is the space of continuous functions different from other function spaces?

The space of continuous functions is different from other function spaces, such as the space of differentiable functions or the space of integrable functions, because it only consists of functions that are continuous. This means that the value of the function changes smoothly and without any sudden jumps or breaks.

3. What is the importance of the space of continuous functions in mathematics?

The space of continuous functions plays a crucial role in mathematical analysis and provides a framework for studying and understanding various mathematical concepts. It also allows for the development of important theorems and techniques, such as the intermediate value theorem and the Weierstrass approximation theorem.

4. Can the space of continuous functions be infinite-dimensional?

Yes, the space of continuous functions can be infinite-dimensional. This means that the number of dimensions needed to describe all the possible functions in the space is infinite. In fact, most function spaces, including C(X), are infinite-dimensional.

5. How is the space of continuous functions used in practical applications?

The space of continuous functions has numerous applications in real-world problems, such as in physics, where it is used to model continuous phenomena such as motion or heat transfer. It is also used in engineering to design and analyze structures and in economics to model continuous functions such as demand and supply curves.