Spacecraft Question: How Fast to Travel for 2 Days on Earth?

• Thread starter CollectiveRocker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spaceship
In summary, the conversation is about determining the speed of a spaceship relative to Earth in order for one day on the spaceship to equal two days on Earth. The formula used is ∆t = t – t(0), simplified to t = γt(0), where gamma (γ) is equal to 1 + (1/2)(v^2)/(c^2). It is noted that using the approximation for speeds much lower than the speed of light will result in a speed faster than the speed of light, which is not possible. Instead, the relativistic equation for gamma should be used: gamma = 1/(sqrt(1-(v^2/c^2))). The final equation for solving for v is v =
CollectiveRocker
How fast must a spaceship be traveling relative for one day on the spacecraft to equal 2 days on Earth? I'm pretty sure that t(0) = 172,800 seconds, and t = 86,000 seconds. Do I just need to use ∆t = t – t(0), simplify that to t = γt(0), and then since γ = 1+ (1/2)(v^2)/(c^2); take the resulting equation and just resolve for v?

Physics news on Phys.org
If I remember correctly, you will want to use the relativistic equation for gamma and not the approximation for speeds much lower than the speed of light. So,
gamma = 1/(sqrt(1-(v^2/c^2))) Otherwise, using the aproximation will yeild a speed faster than the speed of light which is not possible.

I'm ending up with v = sqrt{(((t(0)^2)(c^2))/(∆t^2))-c^2} Can someone please check my math?

Close, it may be easier to notice that gamma = (earth time) / (spaceship time)

So, gamma = 2 in your case. Should be easy from here . . .

How does gamma equal Earth time/ spaceship time or 2? Is this just though simplification?

So I can just set gamma equal to 2, and solve for v!

Yes, that should do the trick.

Thanks a bunch Olaf.

If gamma =2, then 2 = 1/(1+(v^2)/(c^2)), thus leaving you with a negative value when you simplify for v.

1. What is the average speed of a spacecraft traveling for 2 days on Earth?

The average speed of a spacecraft traveling for 2 days on Earth would depend on various factors such as the type of spacecraft, the distance traveled, and the route taken. In general, spacecrafts can travel at speeds of up to 17,500 miles per hour, but the actual speed for a 2-day journey would vary.

2. How long would it take for a spacecraft to travel for 2 days on Earth?

The time it takes for a spacecraft to travel for 2 days on Earth would also depend on the factors mentioned above. However, considering an average speed of 17,500 miles per hour, it would take approximately 28 hours to cover a distance of 700,000 miles, which is equivalent to 2 days on Earth.

3. Can a spacecraft travel faster than the speed of light for 2 days on Earth?

No, it is not possible for a spacecraft to travel faster than the speed of light for 2 days on Earth. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, which is approximately 670,616,629 miles per hour. Therefore, a spacecraft traveling for 2 days on Earth would not be able to exceed this speed.

4. How does the speed of a spacecraft affect its journey for 2 days on Earth?

The speed of a spacecraft plays a crucial role in its journey for 2 days on Earth. A higher speed would mean covering a greater distance in a shorter amount of time. However, it also requires more energy and resources to maintain a higher speed. A lower speed would result in a longer journey time, but it would be more fuel-efficient.

5. What is the impact of gravity on the speed of a spacecraft traveling for 2 days on Earth?

The gravity of a celestial body, such as the Earth, can affect the speed of a spacecraft traveling for 2 days. The gravitational pull of a planet can either increase or decrease the speed of a spacecraft, depending on its direction and distance from the planet. Therefore, spacecrafts often have to adjust their speed to counteract the effects of gravity during their journey.