1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spaceship Question

1. Dec 9, 2004 #1
    How fast must a spaceship be traveling relative for one day on the spacecraft to equal 2 days on Earth? I'm pretty sure that t(0) = 172,800 seconds, and t = 86,000 seconds. Do I just need to use ∆t = t – t(0), simplify that to t = γt(0), and then since γ = 1+ (1/2)(v^2)/(c^2); take the resulting equation and just resolve for v?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2004 #2
    If I remember correctly, you will want to use the relativistic equation for gamma and not the approximation for speeds much lower than the speed of light. So,
    gamma = 1/(sqrt(1-(v^2/c^2))) Otherwise, using the aproximation will yeild a speed faster than the speed of light which is not possible.

4. Dec 9, 2004 #3
    I'm ending up with v = sqrt{(((t(0)^2)(c^2))/(∆t^2))-c^2} Can someone please check my math?

5. Dec 9, 2004 #4
    Close, it may be easier to notice that gamma = (earth time) / (spaceship time)

So, gamma = 2 in your case. Should be easy from here . . .

6. Dec 9, 2004 #5
    How does gamma equal earth time/ spaceship time or 2? Is this just though simplification?

7. Dec 9, 2004 #6
    So I can just set gamma equal to 2, and solve for v!

8. Dec 9, 2004 #7
    Yes, that should do the trick.

9. Dec 9, 2004 #8
    Thanks a bunch Olaf.

10. Dec 9, 2004 #9
    If gamma =2, then 2 = 1/(1+(v^2)/(c^2)), thus leaving you with a negative value when you simplify for v.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?