Exploring Spacetime Elasticity & Mass Research

In summary, spacetime can be simultaneously discrete and continuous, in the same way that information can.
dbullard
I am curious if there has been any research into the elasticity of spacetime in regards to mass. If we consider that a fabric is resistive to a degree to an object it could be said that an object must poses a certain amount of mass before it can cause a divet in spacetime.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am curious if there has been any research into the elasticity of spacetime in regards to mass.

Einstein was the first such master. Or maybe Lorentz Fitzgerald for special relativity "elasticity"...

More generally, you are asking about general relativity, how gravity "gravitational potential" "warps" spacetime...gravitational curvature causes tidal effects.

A black hole is the "ultimate warper" crushing space and time and mass out of existence!

i am curious as to something i heard about micro-gravity. If spacetime has a certian elasticity such that only objects of a "particular mass or graeter" have an effect on it.
If i think of it as a bed sheet with a marble placed on it the sheet bends but if i put only a thin piece of plastic on it it would not move at all. I believe that maybe there is something to that in gravity is an effect of mass on spacetime but there is a minimum mass needed to begin effecting it.

dbullard said:
I am curious if there has been any research into the elasticity of spacetime in regards to mass. If we consider that a fabric is resistive to a degree to an object it could be said that an object must poses a certain amount of mass before it can cause a divet in spacetime.
Are you talking about a 'quantum of curvature'?

Einstein did not think of it as a sheet of rubber 'bending'. It's commonly used as a 2 dimensional analogue to the way gravity is space's 'metric' but I find it better to think of it as a 'Jello' that will adapt relative motion/mass/gravity/'energy'. And if you look out on the universe a dark night every star you see will have a (different) relative motion, relative you observing. That means that the universe you see is both time dilated and Lorentz contracted, which may seem weird :) but it's all a result of the invariant radiation describing what you look at.

That's also why you can't really define a time dilation, other than the twin experiment, where the twin has to come home first to 'prove it'. But it is real, both the Lorentz contraction and the time dilation, and they must be different, relative different stars.

But what communicates it all is that same 'propagating' light, coming at you at the same invariant 'speed', and that light paints the 'whole image' you obtain from observing that night sky. Think of that the next time you look up :)

Last edited:
before you reach a conclusion, you should decide what is your conception of mass and spacetime...are they continuous or discrete?? (Nobody really knows.)

I believe that maybe there is something to that in gravity is an effect of mass on spacetime but there is a minimum mass needed to begin effecting it.

GR assumes a continuous spacetime; quantum gravity may end up with a quantized gravitational theory. So in the former there is no minimum, in the latter, maybe could be.

Some references for consideration:

I kept this for my own notes from another thread here:

http://pirsa.org/09090005/

Spacetime can be simultaneously discrete and continuous, in the same way that information can.
In this thread

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=391989

"argument for the discreteness of spacetime",

Ben Crowell posted this question...
The following is a paraphrase of an argument for the discreteness of spacetime, made by Smolin in his popular-level book Three Roads to Quantum Gravity. The Bekenstein bound says there's a limit on how much information can be stored within a given region of space. If spacetime could be described by continuous classical fields with infinitely many degrees of freedom, then there would be no such limit. Therefore spacetime is discrete.

some good discussion.

nice :)

What is spacetime elasticity?

Spacetime elasticity refers to the concept that the fabric of the universe, or spacetime, can be stretched or compressed in response to the presence of mass or energy. This is described by Einstein's theory of general relativity.

How does mass affect spacetime elasticity?

Mass is a fundamental property of matter that creates a curvature in spacetime. The more massive an object is, the greater its effect on spacetime elasticity. This is why larger objects, such as planets and stars, have a stronger gravitational pull.

How does exploring spacetime elasticity help us understand the universe?

Studying spacetime elasticity allows us to understand the intricate relationship between mass, energy, and the fabric of the universe. It also helps us to explain phenomena such as the bending of light around massive objects and the behavior of black holes.

What research methods are used to study spacetime elasticity and mass?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study spacetime elasticity and mass, including mathematical models, observations of celestial bodies, and experiments with gravitational waves. These methods help to test and refine our understanding of the complex nature of spacetime.

What are some practical applications of understanding spacetime elasticity and mass?

Understanding spacetime elasticity and mass has practical applications in fields such as astrophysics, cosmology, and space exploration. It also has implications for technologies such as GPS systems, which rely on precise measurements of time and space to function accurately.