Spacetime Interval in non-inertial frames.

In summary, the interval between two events is invariant in inertial frames and can be represented by a quadratic form. The metric tensor, which represents the coefficients of the quadratic form, can change at each point in space-time. In flat spacetime, the metric tensor is the same for all points in an inertial frame. However, in a rotating frame, the components of the metric can vary at different points.
The1337gamer
The interval between two events ds^2 = -(cdt)^2 + x^2 + y^2 + z^2 is invariant in inertial frames. I was wondering, if this same interval still applies and is invariant in non-inertial frames?

Physics news on Phys.org
The form of the line element will be the same if the coords (t,x,y,z) are transformed by a member of the Poincare group of transformations.

But other transformations can change the form of the line element. For instance if we go to (u,v,y,z)

u = x-t
v= x+t
y=y
z=z

then the line element becomes ds2 = -2dudv + dy2 + dz2

There is still an invariant interval, but it will no longer take that form in a non-inertial frame.

The1337gamer said:
The interval between two events ds^2 = -(cdt)^2 + x^2 + y^2 + z^2 is invariant in inertial frames. I was wondering, if this same interval still applies and is invariant in non-inertial frames?

In general the invariant interval will be a quadratic form ,http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Quadratic_form&oldid=467500079.

If your generalized coordinates are t,x,y,z and you have to points, represented by coordinates t1,x1,y1,z1 and t2,x2,y2,z2, then your quadratic form for the interval will have variables dt,dx,dy,dz -- where dt = t2-t1, dx=x2-x1, dy=y2-y1, dz=z2-z1. For example, it might be (just to illustrate the concept clearly)

-0.8 dt^2 + 1.3 dx^2 + 1.2 dy^2 + 1.1 dz^2The coefficents of the quadratic form can be represented by a matrix - the wiki article talks a bit about this - if you want a more detailed treatment it should be covered in books about linear algebra. This matrix is called the "metric", which hopefully you've at least herad mentioned.

Your question has really been answered, so sorry if some think this is over kill, but I'll write down the interval for you too, since it hasn't been written yet in this thread, just mentioned.
[tex]
c^2 \, d\tau^2=ds^2=g_{\alpha\beta}dx^{\alpha}dx^{\beta}=dx_{\alpha}dx^{\alpha}
[/tex]
This is a geometric invariant. Hope this helps a little.

Thanks for the feedback. I know a bit about the metric tensor, it is a bilinear form that takes two vectors from the tangent space of our spacetime to a scalar, i think.

So i think I am correct in saying the 4x4 matrix representing the metric is the same on all points in flat spacetime (minkowski space).

I haven't read much into GR yet, but in the general spacetime, does the metric tensor change at each point in the space?

In general, the metric tensor will change as you move from point to point in space-time. If the metric tensor does not change as you move along a certain vector field, then that vector field is a so-called "killing vector field".

The1337gamer said:
So i think I am correct in saying the 4x4 matrix representing the metric is the same on all points in flat spacetime (minkowski space).
Yes, except that you need to specify that you are talking about an inertial frame or orthonormal basis. The components of the metric expressed in e.g. a rotating frame will not be the same at all points in flat spacetime.

Related to Spacetime Interval in non-inertial frames.

1. What is the concept of spacetime interval in non-inertial frames?

The spacetime interval in non-inertial frames is a measurement of the distance between two events in spacetime. It takes into account both the spatial distance and the time interval between the events, allowing for a more accurate understanding of the relationship between them.

2. How does the concept of spacetime interval differ in inertial and non-inertial frames?

In inertial frames, the spacetime interval is considered to be invariant, meaning it does not change regardless of the observer's perspective. However, in non-inertial frames, the spacetime interval can vary depending on the observer's acceleration and the curvature of spacetime.

3. Can the spacetime interval in non-inertial frames be negative?

Yes, in non-inertial frames, the spacetime interval can be negative. This indicates that the two events being measured are spacelike separated, meaning they cannot be causally connected. This is in contrast to timelike separated events, which have a positive spacetime interval and can be causally connected.

4. How does general relativity explain the concept of spacetime interval in non-inertial frames?

In general relativity, the concept of spacetime interval is described by the metric tensor, which takes into account the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy. This allows for a more accurate measurement of the spacetime interval in both inertial and non-inertial frames.

5. What are some practical applications of the concept of spacetime interval in non-inertial frames?

The concept of spacetime interval in non-inertial frames is crucial for understanding and predicting the behavior of objects in gravitational fields, such as planets orbiting around a star. It is also important in the study of black holes and other extreme cosmic phenomena, as well as in the navigation of spacecraft and satellites in curved spacetime.