Spatial interpolation before or after data processing

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of spatial interpolation to approximate values in a 2D or 3D space that have been processed by an algorithm. The question at hand is whether it is better to perform the interpolation on the original values before processing or on the processed values. There is no general recommendation, as it depends on the accuracy of the original values and the smoothing effects of the algorithm.
Oliver-BfS
TL;DR Summary
Shall spatial interpolation better be performed on original values or on processed values?
Let a set of values at several discrete points in 2D or 3D space be given. These values will be processed by an algorithm. At the end, processed values need not be known at the original locations but at grid points. Therefore, spatial interpolation needs to be applied.

Is there a general recommendation if spatial interpolation should better be performed on the original values before processing the values or on the processed values?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can I restate the question to check understanding?

You have a set of coordinates ## x_i ## in a domain ## X ## and corresponding values ## f(x_i) ## in a codomain ## F ##. You have an operation ## g ## that acts over ## F ##. You want to approximate the values ## g(f(x)) ## over a different set of coordinates ## x_j ##. You are considering 2 options:
  1. approximate ## f(x_j) ## with an interpolation function ## q(f(x_i)) ## and calculate ## g(q(f(x_i))) ##;
  2. calculate ## g(f(x_i)) ## and approximate ## g(f(x_j)) ## with an interpolation function ## q'(g(f(x_i)))##.
I don't think there is a general preference: if ## f(x_i) ## are known exactly and can be accurately interpolated - in the extreme, let's say they are linear - then ## f(x_j) = q(f(x_i)) ## so you can't do better than option 1. If on the other hand ## f(x_i) ## are only known approximately and ## g ## applies some smoothing by acting over a subset of points then option 2 is probably better.

Your understanding of the question is correct.

The values cannot be interpolated accurately because ##f(x_i)## is only known at the coordinates ##x_i##. There is no knowledge of the underlying function ##f##. ##f(x_i)## are measured values.

1. What is spatial interpolation?

Spatial interpolation is a method used to estimate values at unsampled locations within a given dataset. It involves using known data points to create a continuous surface or map of the entire study area.

2. Why is spatial interpolation important?

Spatial interpolation allows for the creation of a more complete and accurate representation of a dataset, which can be useful for analysis and decision-making. It also helps to fill in gaps in data and reduce the effects of sampling bias.

3. Should spatial interpolation be done before or after data processing?

This depends on the specific dataset and the purpose of the analysis. In some cases, it may be more appropriate to perform spatial interpolation before data processing, while in others it may be better to do it after. It is important to carefully consider the goals and limitations of the study before deciding on the best approach.

4. What are some common methods of spatial interpolation?

Some common methods of spatial interpolation include inverse distance weighting, kriging, and spline interpolation. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method should be based on the characteristics of the dataset and the desired outcome.

5. Can spatial interpolation introduce errors into the data?

Yes, spatial interpolation can introduce errors into the data. These errors can be caused by a variety of factors, such as the choice of interpolation method, the quality and distribution of the input data, and the scale of the study area. It is important to carefully evaluate the results of spatial interpolation and consider the potential sources of error.