Speaker hanging from the ceiling

• Thread starter peacemaster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speaker
In summary, the problem involves a 19.0 kg speaker suspended 1.6m from the ceiling by two 2.5m cables forming equal angles with the ceiling. The equations for solving the problem are unknown, but it is clear that the tension in each cable is equal and can be calculated using the sine of the angle formed by the cable and the ceiling. The speaker is in equilibrium and a free body diagram can be used to solve the problem.
peacemaster

Homework Statement

A 19.0 kg speaker is suspended 1.6m from the ceiling by two cables each 2.5m in length. the cables come to the top of the speaker and each cable forms and equal angle with the ceiling.

Homework Equations

i have no idea. i am completely lost.

The Attempt at a Solution

the first thing i did was figure out all the dimensions of the triangles that are formed. this has done nothing for me.

i have read the "hints" offered by the online homework program, and it tells me:

1) the tension in each of the cables is equal. therefore T1=T2. this is obvious to me just from reading the problem.
2) the program also said that T1=T2=T*sin of the angle formed by the ceiling and the cable.

this second step makes absolutely no sense to me. basically, i am trying to solve for the amount of tension in the cable.

since the cables are at an angle, it seems that each cable should carry more than half of the Newtons of the speaker (186.2N).

i would understand if the computer suggested a formula using the tangent of the angle, but i am completely lost.

somebody please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
please help. i have a test in a few hours.

Draw a free body diagram and resolve along the vertical.
You will have one force acting downwards, and a fraction of two forces acting upwards.
As the speaker is in equilibrium, these will be equal and opposite.

What is the purpose of hanging a speaker from the ceiling?

Hanging a speaker from the ceiling can help to improve the acoustics and sound distribution in a room. It can also save space and prevent the speaker from being knocked over.

What type of speaker is best for hanging from the ceiling?

The best type of speaker for hanging from the ceiling is a pendant or ceiling speaker. These speakers are specifically designed for this purpose and have a wide dispersion angle to evenly distribute sound throughout the room.

How do you install a speaker hanging from the ceiling?

The process of installing a speaker hanging from the ceiling may vary depending on the type of speaker and ceiling. In general, it involves securely mounting the speaker to the ceiling using brackets or screws and ensuring proper wire connections for the speaker to function.

Can any ceiling support a hanging speaker?

No, not all ceilings are suitable for hanging speakers. It is important to check the weight capacity of your ceiling and consult with a professional if necessary to ensure that it can support the weight of the speaker and any additional equipment.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when hanging a speaker from the ceiling?

Yes, safety should always be a top priority when installing a speaker hanging from the ceiling. Make sure to follow manufacturer instructions and use appropriate hardware for installation. It is also important to regularly inspect the speaker and its mounting to ensure it is secure and in good condition.