Special Relativity: Photon emission by a moving atom

In summary, the problem involves an atom in an excited state of energy Q0, traveling towards a scintillation counter with speed v, and emitting a photon of energy Q and stopping completely. Using conservation of energy and momentum, it can be shown that Q = Q0(1+Q0/2mc^2).
Helgi

Homework Statement

The problem involves an atom (Said to be in an excited state of energy Q_0) traveling towards a scintillation counter with speed v. The atom then emits a photon of energy Q and stops completely. The rest mass of the atom is m. I'm supposed to show that
[tex] Q = Q_0(1+\frac{Q_0}{2mc^2}) [/tex]

Homework Equations

It's mostly just conservation of energy and momentum stuff.
The kinetic energy of the atom is
[tex] K = (\gamma -1)m_0 c^2 [/tex]
I have a feeling this formula
[tex] E^2 = (cp)^2+m_0^2c^4 [/tex]
has to be used but I don't see where.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I figured I should do was to use conservation of energy and momentum. So I set up 2 equations

[tex] Q_0 + (\gamma-1)m_0c^2 = m_0 c^2+Q [/tex] Which is the energy conservation
[tex] \gamma\cdot m_0v = \frac{Q}{C} [/tex] and the conservation of momentum

Which I'm pretty sure is set up alright but when I try to solve for Q I don't get anything that is simplifies to what it's supposed to be. The [tex]\gamma[/tex] and v usually get in the way and they're not supposed to be in the answer.

Now what I tried was to just simplify the first formula, and I ended up with
[tex]2Q_0 = 2m_c^2 + Q[/tex]
this looks pretty reasonable but it's missing the second power on the [tex]Q_0[/tex].

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Helgi said:
The problem involves an atom (Said to be in an excited state of energy Q_0) traveling towards a scintillation counter with speed v. The atom then emits a photon of energy Q and stops completely. The rest mass of the atom is m. I'm supposed to show that
[tex] Q = Q_0(1+\frac{Q_0}{2mc^2}) [/tex]

The key point to note here that the excited state of energy Q0 is in the rest frame of the atom, not the lab frame as you have considered. This energy Q0 makes the rest energy of the atom (Q0+mc^2). So, the initial energy of the system in labframe is [tex](Q0+mc^2)\gamma[/tex], and the initial momentum is [tex](Q0/c^2+m)\gamma v[/tex].

The rest is as you have done. It's a two liner. Put c=1 to keep it neat, and put it back in the end to make it dimensionally correct.

So I tried squaring both sides and got
4Q_0^2 = (2m_c^2 + Q)^2
which still doesn't seem to be leading me to the desired answer. I also tried substituting in the formula for kinetic energy, but that didn't seem to help either.

I can offer some guidance on how to approach this problem. First, it is important to note that this problem involves special relativity, which means that the equations and principles of classical mechanics may not fully apply. Therefore, we need to use the equations and principles of special relativity to solve this problem.

One key equation to keep in mind is the energy-momentum relation for a particle with mass, which is given by E^2 = (pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2. This equation relates the energy (E) and momentum (p) of a particle to its mass (m). In this case, the atom has a rest mass of m, and it is moving with a velocity v, so we can use this equation to relate the energy and momentum of the atom.

Next, we need to consider the conservation of energy and momentum in this problem. As the atom moves towards the scintillation counter, it is in an excited state with energy Q_0. When it emits a photon and comes to a stop, its energy is now given by the rest mass energy (mc^2) plus the energy of the emitted photon (Q). This means that we can set up the following equation:

Q_0 + (\gamma - 1)mc^2 = mc^2 + Q

Where \gamma is the Lorentz factor, which takes into account the effects of special relativity on the energy and momentum of the moving atom. We can also use the conservation of momentum to set up the following equation:

\gamma mv = Q/c

Combining these two equations and solving for Q, we get:

Q = Q_0(1 + \frac{Q_0}{2mc^2})

Which is the desired result. So, in summary, to solve this problem, we need to use the energy-momentum relation for a particle with mass and the principles of conservation of energy and momentum, taking into account the effects of special relativity. I hope this helps in your understanding of special relativity and its applications.

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that describes how objects in motion behave in relation to each other. It is based on two main principles: the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the speed of light is constant in all inertial reference frames.

2. How does special relativity explain photon emission by a moving atom?

Special relativity explains photon emission by a moving atom through the concept of time dilation. As an atom moves, the rate at which time passes for its electrons slows down, causing them to emit photons with a longer wavelength. This phenomenon is known as the Doppler effect and is a result of the constant speed of light.

3. Can an atom emit photons while at rest?

Yes, an atom can emit photons while at rest. According to special relativity, even objects at rest have energy and mass, and therefore, they can emit photons. However, the frequency and energy of the emitted photons will be different compared to those emitted by a moving atom due to the absence of time dilation.

4. What is the significance of special relativity in modern physics?

Special relativity is a fundamental theory in modern physics that has revolutionized our understanding of the universe. It has led to significant advances in technology, such as GPS systems and particle accelerators, and has also helped to develop other important theories like general relativity and quantum mechanics.

5. How can we observe the effects of special relativity in our daily lives?

The effects of special relativity are not easily observable in our daily lives, as they are only significant at very high speeds or in extreme environments. However, some technologies, such as GPS, rely on the principles of special relativity to function accurately. Additionally, particle accelerators that use relativistic speeds to study subatomic particles also demonstrate the effects of special relativity.