Special relativity spacecraft speed question

In summary, a pursuit spacecraft from the planet Tatooine is trying to catch up with a Trade Federation cruiser. The cruiser is traveling away from Tatooine at a speed of 0.6c as measured by an observer on Tatooine. The pursuit ship is traveling at a speed of 0.8c relative to Tatooine, in the same direction as the cruiser. The problem involves combining relativistic speeds and solving an equation, and the difficulty may be due to not knowing the formula or making a mistake in the arithmetic. It is expected that the person attempting the problem has read the forum rules and made an attempt before asking for help. The correct answer is 0.385c.
alexmahone
A pursuit spacecraft from the planet Tatooine is attempting to catch up with a Trade Federation cruiser. As measured by an observer on Tatooine, the cruiser is traveling away from the planet with a speed of 0.6c. The pursuit ship is traveling at a speed of 0.8c relative to Tatooine, in the same direction as the cruiser. What is the speed of the pursuit ship relative to the cruiser?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the problem physics, that you do not know the formula for combining (relativistic) speeds or mathematics, that you cannot do the arithmetic? Or is the difficulty reading- that you were not able to read the forum rules that you said you had when you registered for this forum?

If you are asked to do a problem for a class, someone clearly expects that you know and can use a formula for this problem. And we have a right to expect that you have read the forum rules and know you must make an attempt to solve the problem yourself and post that attempt here. We cannot give hints if we do not know exactly where you had a problem.

HallsofIvy said:
Is the problem physics, that you do not know the formula for combining (relativistic) speeds or mathematics, that you cannot do the arithmetic? Or is the difficulty reading- that you were not able to read the forum rules that you said you had when you registered for this forum?

If you are asked to do a problem for a class, someone clearly expects that you know and can use a formula for this problem. And we have a right to expect that you have read the forum rules and know you must make an attempt to solve the problem yourself and post that attempt here. We cannot give hints if we do not know exactly where you had a problem.

I get the answer 0.135c whereas my textbook says 0.385c. I was just hoping that someone could confirm that my answer is right. I didn't post my solution because I didn't want others to be biased by it.

Let S be Tatooine and S' be the pursuit ship. Let P be the cruiser.

[tex]v=0.6c[/tex] [tex]u=0.8c[/tex]

[tex]v'=\frac{v-u}{1-uv/c^2}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{0.6c-0.8c}{1-0.8c*0.6c/c^2}[/tex]

[tex]=-0.385c[/tex]

Is that correct?

Last edited:
alexmahone said:
[tex]=\frac{0.6c-0.8c}{1+0.8c*0.6c/c^2}[/tex]
You made a sign error in the denominator.

Doc Al said:
You made a sign error in the denominator.

Oops; thanks.

What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains how objects move at speeds close to the speed of light. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, regardless of their relative speeds.

How does special relativity apply to spacecraft speed?

Special relativity applies to spacecraft speed because spacecraft can reach speeds close to the speed of light. This theory explains how time, length, and mass change for objects moving at such high speeds.

What is the maximum speed a spacecraft can reach according to special relativity?

According to special relativity, the maximum speed that a spacecraft can reach is the speed of light, which is about 299,792,458 meters per second. This is also known as the cosmic speed limit, as nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.

How does time dilation affect spacecraft traveling at high speeds?

Time dilation is a phenomenon explained by special relativity that states time passes slower for objects moving at high speeds. This means that for a spacecraft traveling close to the speed of light, time will pass slower for those on board compared to those on Earth.

Can special relativity be observed in everyday life?

Yes, special relativity can be observed in everyday life. For example, the Global Positioning System (GPS) relies on this theory to make accurate calculations for location and time. GPS satellites travel at high speeds, so without accounting for time dilation, the system would not work properly.