Special Relativity simultaniety

In summary, the question asks for the velocity of a frame K' in which two events occur at the same time, given their coordinates in an inertial system K. To solve this, the Lorentz transformation can be used to get equations for the space-time coordinates in K'. This involves using the Lorentz equations for Δx' and Δt' in terms of Δx and Δt.
PhysicsInNJ

Homework Statement

Two events occur in an inertial system K as follows.
Event 1: x1 = a, t1 = 2a/c, y1 = 0, z1 = 0
Event 2: x2 = 2.6a, t2 = 1.9a/c, y2 = 0, z2 = 0

What is the velocity of the frame K' in which these events appear to occur at the same time? Express the velocity vector using the variables a and c and the unit vectors, i, j, and k; for example, 2*i + 2*j is a vector which bisects the x and y axes.

Homework Equations

Lorentz equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I assumed that I could use the time dilation, T0=T/Ɣ with T (the observed time) being zero but that obviously will not work. I likewise tried it with length contraction.

I don't know where else to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
HInt: "simultaniety" and "Lorentz transformation".

So the K' would have to travel the distance between event 1 and 2, in the amount of time between the events?

PhysicsInNJ said:
So the K' would have to travel the distance between event 1 and 2, in the amount of time between the events?
Wouldn't this make the two events occur at the same place in K' rather than occur at the same time in K'?

You know the space-time coordinates for the events in K.
Use the Lorentz transformation to get equations for the space-time coordinates in another reference frame.

PhysicsInNJ: Please write down for us the Lorentz equations for ##\Delta x'## and ##\Delta t'## in terms of ##\Delta x## and ##\Delta t##.

1. What is the concept of simultaneity in special relativity?

The concept of simultaneity in special relativity refers to the idea that events that appear simultaneous to an observer in one frame of reference may not appear simultaneous to an observer in a different frame of reference. This is due to the fact that time and space are relative and can be perceived differently by observers in different frames of reference.

2. How does the relativity of simultaneity affect our perception of time and space?

The relativity of simultaneity means that the measurement of time and space is not absolute and can be affected by the observer's frame of reference. This means that events that may appear simultaneous to one observer may not appear simultaneous to another observer, leading to a subjective perception of time and space.

3. Can two events occur simultaneously in different frames of reference?

No, according to special relativity, two events cannot occur simultaneously in different frames of reference. This is because time and space are relative and can be perceived differently by observers in different frames of reference.

4. How does the speed of light play a role in the concept of simultaneity?

The speed of light is constant in all frames of reference and is a fundamental principle of special relativity. This means that the perception of time and space is affected by an observer's relative speed to the speed of light, leading to the relativity of simultaneity.

5. How does Einstein's thought experiment with two trains contribute to our understanding of simultaneity?

Einstein's thought experiment with two trains, known as the "train and platform experiment," highlights the relativity of simultaneity. The experiment demonstrates how two events that appear simultaneous to an observer on the train may not appear simultaneous to an observer on the platform due to their different frames of reference and relative speeds.