1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special relitivity problem

1. Oct 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

It takes light 40 years to get from planet 1 to planet 2 anna who was just born leves planet 1 to go to planet 2. can she make it to planet 2 in 30 years?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know the anwser is yesand if anna moves at .8c she would make it in 30 years but i need help understanding why.
    in my book it says to take V=40LY/30Y and i get that part but then it says to devide both sides by c and it gets V/C=(40LY/30Y)((1-V^2/c^2)^(1/2))
    i want to know WHY you have to devide one side by c tha the other side by 1/(c(1-V^2/c^2)^(1/2))
    after that step i understand it but that step is confusing me.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I don't quite understand that. Instead I'd take V = Dist/Time = (Lo/γ)/T = (40LY/γ)/30Y. Then it's just a matter of solving for V.

That's incorrect. You'd divide both sides by c. But you must start with the correct equation.

What book are you using?
  4. Oct 14, 2008 #3
    Nonclasical Physics by Randy Harris
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?