Calculating the Value of Q for Constant Pressure Heat Transfer

In summary, the value of Q in this problem is 29.1 kJ, which is the amount of heat transferred to the gas as it is heated from 300 K to 500 K at constant pressure. It is not explicitly stated in the problem and needs to be calculated using the equation ∆U = Q = C_v(T_2-T_1). Q is not the same as U, as U also takes into account any external work done on the gas. In this case, since the gas is at constant pressure, there is external work done during the expansion. At constant volume, all of the heat energy goes towards raising the internal energy and temperature of the gas.
annalise17
1. What is the value of Q in this problem? Is it a value that's stated in the question or does it need calculating?

A sample consisting of 5 moles of an ideal gas at a temperature of 300 K and a
pressure of 1.00 × 105 Pa is heated to a temperature of 500 K at constant pressure.
The amount of heat transferred to the gas is 29.1 kJ.

Homework Equations

No equations needed really, I just need to make sure I'm using the right values!

The Attempt at a Solution

Is Q = 29.1 kJ = 29100 J (or would that be U?)
Is Q the same value for constant volume and constant pressure while ΔU changes because ΔU = Q + W and there is no work in a constant volume situation?

Physics news on Phys.org
In this example the gas is at constant pressure which means that it will expand and therefore external work is done during the expansion.
All of the heat energy does not go to raise the internal energy (raise the temperature) of the gas
If the gas is heated at constant volume no external work is done ands all of the heat energy goes to internal energy and raise the temperature.

I got that bit, I just wasn't sure whether we were actually given Q or U but I've worked it out:

∆U = Q = 29100 J
∆U = C_v (T_2-T_1)
etc. Using Q as that gave me a sensible ratio of C_p to C_v so I'm happy!

1. What is Q in the context of constant pressure heat transfer?

Q is the symbol used to represent the amount of heat transferred in a system at constant pressure. It is measured in units of joules (J) or calories (cal).

2. How do you calculate the value of Q for constant pressure heat transfer?

The formula for calculating Q at constant pressure is Q = m x Cp x ΔT, where m is the mass of the substance, Cp is its specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

3. What is the significance of calculating Q for constant pressure heat transfer?

Calculating Q allows us to understand how much heat is being transferred in a system, which is important for various industrial and scientific processes. It also helps us determine the efficiency of heat transfer and design more efficient systems.

4. Can Q be negative in constant pressure heat transfer?

Yes, Q can be negative in constant pressure heat transfer if heat is leaving the system, indicating a decrease in temperature. This is known as heat loss.

5. How does the value of Q change in different substances during constant pressure heat transfer?

The value of Q can vary depending on the substance involved, as each substance has a different specific heat capacity. For example, water has a higher specific heat capacity than air, so it would require more heat to increase its temperature by the same amount compared to air.