Spectral line width calculations

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the spread of wavelengths of a spectral line by using the time dependence of a wave function and performing a Fourier transform. An approximate method for finding the width of the line is also suggested, and the exact answer is given as gamma=2r.
Mjolnir
So I'm in an intro quantum physics course, and while I'm sure this is a really simple problem, I'm just not getting the math to work out here.

Say you excite the atoms of some gas such that they emit light at a wavelength of 5500 angstroms as they fall back to the ground state. Now if the light intensity falls off with I(t) = I*e[tex]^{-r*t}[/tex] (with r = 5*10^(-7) Hz), we can get the time dependence of the wave function to be e[tex]^{-r*t/2}[/tex]*e[tex]^{-i*\omega_{0}*t}[/tex], correct? Now given this, how would you go about finding the spread of wavelengths of the spectral line? Now the idea I would think is to find <E^2> - <E>^2, and then just set the standard deviation of lamda equal to h*c over this? Anyway, as I said the math just isn't working out. So as much as I hate my first post here to be a question, if someone could maybe layout a general process for doing this (without actually plugging in the values, of course; the idea is to understand this on my own), it would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Fourier transform the wave function using exp(-iEt/h).
This gives you the WF in energy space.
Its absolute value squared gives you the line shape.

Mjolnir said:
... we can get the time dependence of the wave function to be e[tex]^{-r*t/2}[/tex]*e[tex]^{-i*\omega_{0}*t}[/tex], correct? Now given this, how would you go about finding the spread of wavelengths of the spectral line? ...

You can get an approximation of the width without having to perform the Fourier transform. Let Df be the difference in frequency between two waves at the upper and lower bounds of the distribution. As time t progresses the phase difference between the two extreme waves will increase as 2pi*Df*t. The waves will strongly interfere when the phase difference reaches pi at time T, so that 2*Df*T = 1. Now T can be equated with the time-width of your waveform, approximately 4/r (2 times 2/r), and the spread in your frequencies is approximately Df = r/8.

This doesn't give the exact answer, which depends on details in the shape of the distribution. But it is close, and it helps demonstrate what is going on.

I gave you the method of doing it.
If you just want the answer, the width of the line is gamma=2r.
gamma is the "full width at half maximum".

What is the purpose of calculating spectral line width?

The spectral line width is a measure of the width of a spectral line, which is the range of wavelengths or frequencies emitted by a source. This calculation is important in many areas of science, such as astronomy, spectroscopy, and telecommunications, as it can provide valuable information about the properties of a source or the medium through which the light is passing.

How is spectral line width calculated?

Spectral line width can be calculated using a variety of methods, depending on the specific application. In general, it involves measuring the full width at half maximum (FWHM) of the spectral line, which is the width of the line at half its maximum intensity. This can be done using various techniques, such as Fourier transform analysis, Gaussian fitting, or Doppler broadening analysis.

What factors can affect the spectral line width?

The spectral line width can be affected by several factors, including the temperature and pressure of the emitting source, the density and composition of the medium through which the light is passing, and any Doppler shifts caused by the motion of the source or the observer. In addition, instrumental effects and measurement errors can also contribute to the observed spectral line width.

How is spectral line width related to the properties of the emitting source?

The spectral line width can provide important information about the properties of the emitting source, such as its temperature, density, and composition. For example, a broader spectral line may indicate a higher temperature or a larger range of velocities within the source. In addition, the shape of the spectral line can also reveal information about the source, such as whether it is a point source or an extended source, or whether it is rotating or in motion.

What are some real-world applications of spectral line width calculations?

Spectral line width calculations have many practical applications in various fields of science and technology. In astronomy, they are used to study the properties of stars, galaxies, and other celestial objects. In spectroscopy, they are used to analyze the chemical composition of substances. In telecommunications, they are used to determine the bandwidth and transmission characteristics of communication channels. They are also used in medical imaging, environmental monitoring, and many other areas of research and industry.