Spectroscope Apps: Light vs Radio-Based Analysis

• Thread starter Clutch Bangstrip
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Apps
In summary: It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who has had this confusion.In summary, a spectroscope is a device that is used to analyze the spectrum of light. Without an app that uses light, it is difficult to replicate the spectroscope on an android phone.
Clutch Bangstrip
A while back, I had one of many experiences my senior year... That made me super interested in science, in general. In my class, we used some type of rainbow graph-binocular-like machine contraption-thingy that basically showed us what stuff contained. It was called a spectrograph/gram/scope/I forgot.

I recently thought to myself, outta the blue, "It would be cool if your phone could do that." but I can't find an app that uses light, it's all radio based. Is there really no app for this? Are the components for those things I used, about 2 years ago, impossible to implement on android cameras?

Btw, sorry for my total ignorance...

Physics news on Phys.org
Clutch Bangstrip said:
A while back, I had one of many experiences my senior year... That made me super interested in science, in general. In my class, we used some type of rainbow graph-binocular-like machine contraption-thingy that basically showed us what stuff contained. It was called a spectrograph/gram/scope/I forgot.
Probably a gas chromatograph mass spectroscopy machine -- see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_chromatography–mass_spectrometry. It takes a sample of material, heats it until it vaporizes, and then analyzes the spectrum of light that is produced to determine what the sample contains.
Clutch Bangstrip said:
I recently thought to myself, outta the blue, "It would be cool if your phone could do that." but I can't find an app that uses light, it's all radio based. Is there really no app for this? Are the components for those things I used, about 2 years ago, impossible to implement on android cameras?

Btw, sorry for my total ignorance...
Can your phone heat up something until it vaporizes?

• Haha
Likes Clutch Bangstrip
Mark44 said:

... if it is not on fire.

Likes Wrichik Basu
BillTre said:
... if it is not on fire.
But if the phone's on fire, it probably won't be able to analyze some other material.

Mark44 said:
Probably a gas chromatograph mass spectroscopy machine -- see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_chromatography–mass_spectrometry. It takes a sample of material, heats it until it vaporizes, and then analyzes the spectrum of light that is produced to determine what the sample contains.
Nah, that's not it.

It was something like this, maybe.

It was like the light that shined off the material told you what the material largely consisted of. But it had to have a signifigant amount of light shining on the material in order to see any changes on the graph.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
The entire question should be, can your phone heat up something until it vaporizes at one location, shine a light through the material from that location as well, and then simultaneously analysis that light from a different location?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes Clutch Bangstrip, Wrichik Basu and Bystander
Clutch Bangstrip said:
Nah, that's not it.

It was something like this, maybe.It was like the light that shined off the material told you what the material largely consisted of. But it had to have a signifigant amount of light shining on the material in order to see any changes on the graph.
This is what you're talking about.

A spectroscope.

Your phone could potentially replicate this tool, much like the video in your post, but that's only half the battle. If you want it to work in the way you described; there's no app for that. A lot more's at work than what you remember seeing.

Last edited:
Likes Clutch Bangstrip
Tap Banister said:
This is what you're talking about.

View attachment 244315
A spectroscope.

Your phone could potentially replicate this tool, much like the video in your post, but that's only half the battle. If you want it to work in the way you described; there's no app for that. A lot more's at work than what you remember seeing.
I found info on what you're talking about. People had tube-shaped scopes; instruments that weren't too complicated, but what they were looking at wasn't just random materials. There was a mechanism, that I assume heated up the materials and that's what they used the scope on. On top of that, I've read that that is, indeed, what needs to happen.

My memory is super-damn fuzzy so forgive me if I forgot that step. Hell, I still don't remember the machine and it may not have helped that it was dark in my class. But given everything I've read and watched, for me to have seen what I remembered, it had to be there. Here, I was thinking it was just the plastic scope responsible for it all...

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their help.

1. What is a spectroscope app?

A spectroscope app is a mobile application that uses the camera on your device to analyze light or radio waves and provide information about the source of the waves. It can be used for various purposes, such as identifying elements in a sample or analyzing the spectrum of a star or galaxy.

2. How does a spectroscope app work?

A spectroscope app works by using the camera on your device to capture images of the light or radio waves being analyzed. The app then processes these images and uses algorithms to identify the wavelengths and intensity of the waves. This information is then used to create a spectrum graph, which can be analyzed to gather information about the source of the waves.

3. What is the difference between light-based and radio-based analysis in a spectroscope app?

The main difference between light-based and radio-based analysis in a spectroscope app is the type of waves being analyzed. Light-based analysis focuses on the visible light spectrum, while radio-based analysis focuses on the longer wavelengths of the electromagnetic spectrum. This means that different types of information can be gathered using each method.

4. What are some practical uses of a spectroscope app?

Spectroscope apps have a wide range of practical uses. They can be used in scientific research to analyze the composition of materials, such as identifying elements in a sample. They can also be used in astronomy to study the spectra of stars and galaxies, providing information about their composition and movement. In addition, spectroscope apps can be used in industries such as agriculture, food and beverage, and environmental monitoring.

5. Are spectroscope apps accurate?

Yes, spectroscope apps can be highly accurate when used correctly. However, the accuracy of the analysis depends on factors such as the quality of the camera on your device and the calibration of the app. It is important to follow the instructions provided by the app and ensure that the device is properly calibrated for the most accurate results.