Spectrum Analyzer: Measuring Quiet Sound Frequency

In summary, the person is asking how to measure the frequency of a quiet sound using software that only measures peak frequency. Possible solutions include using FFT or applying a band pass filter to the original signal. More information about the equipment being used is needed for a more specific answer.
Physicist1011

Homework Statement

How can I measure the frequency of a really quiet sound. The software I have only measures the peak frequency (so not the frequency of the sound I want to measure which is lower f).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
If your software can do an FFT, the frequency you are looking for should show up as one of the lesser peaks.

Alternatively, apply a band pass filter to the original signal - to exclude all of the more prominent frequencies. Then do your frequency measurement on the result.

Physicist1011 said:

Homework Statement

How can I measure the frequency of a really quiet sound. The software I have only measures the peak frequency (so not the frequency of the sound I want to measure which is lower f).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This doesn't really look like homework -- if it's a general interest question, I can move this thread to the EE forum.

And can you expand on your question some? Do you actually have a spectrum analyzer? If so, what model? What microphone are you using, and what preamp? What is the source of the sounds?

Related to Spectrum Analyzer: Measuring Quiet Sound Frequency

1. What is a spectrum analyzer and how does it work?

A spectrum analyzer is a scientific instrument used to measure the spectrum of frequencies present in a signal. It works by taking an input signal and breaking it down into its individual frequency components, displaying them as a graph or spectrum. This allows for the identification of specific frequencies and their amplitudes within the signal.

2. Why is it important to measure quiet sound frequency?

Quiet sound frequencies, also known as low-level signals, can contain valuable information about a system or environment that may not be detectable by the human ear. By measuring these frequencies, scientists can gain a better understanding of the characteristics and behavior of a system, leading to advancements in fields such as audio engineering, telecommunications, and environmental research.

3. What types of signals can be analyzed with a spectrum analyzer?

A spectrum analyzer can analyze a wide range of signals, including electrical signals, optical signals, and acoustic signals. This allows for a diverse range of applications, from analyzing audio signals in music production to measuring radio frequency signals in wireless communication systems.

4. How does a spectrum analyzer measure quiet sound frequency?

A spectrum analyzer measures quiet sound frequency by taking an input signal and converting it into an electrical signal, which is then amplified and passed through a series of filters to isolate different frequency bands. The resulting signal is then displayed on a graph or spectrum, with the amplitude of each frequency represented by a peak or spike on the graph.

5. What are some common uses of spectrum analyzers in scientific research?

Spectrum analyzers are commonly used in scientific research to study the properties of sound, light, and other electromagnetic waves. They are also used in fields such as acoustics, telecommunications, and signal processing to analyze and troubleshoot signals. In addition, spectrum analyzers are frequently used in environmental research to monitor noise pollution and study the effects of sound on wildlife and ecosystems.