Speculative Biochemistry: Because Earth is just one planet.

In summary, the conversation revolves around the possibility of carbon-based life being the only form of life due to its stability and abundance, while other elements such as silicon and phosphorus-nitrogen have been suggested but deemed unstable for life to evolve. The anti-carbon-'chauvinism' movement is considered invalid, but there is discussion about the role of chirality and the potential for different sets of nutrients in carbon-based life. The conversation also delves into the characteristics that are universal for carbon-based life and explores the plausibility of other elements playing a role in the evolution of life.
kldickson
Let's speculate!

For background, I am a neurobiology student. Ergo, I've got the requisite chem n' o-chem under my belt. (Would like to fit in some biochem, but I don't know if that's possible right now.)

From my own perousing of the material on the internet, it seems that carbon is really the only molecule we can do much of anything with, considering it's the easiest molecule to bond to 4 atoms stably and it's so freaking common. Silicon and phosphorus-nitrogen have been suggested, but neither system is stable enough to evolve life (because life always takes the easy way out; what that is is frequently beyond the comprehension of us idiot humans).

So - the anti-carbon-'chauvinism' movement is bunk. However, there's the question of chirality, and can carbon-based life require different sets of nutrients? Arsenic compounds, etc?

What characteristics can be regarded to be 'universal' as regards carbon-based life - i.e. there is no way we can presently think of that they can be contravened at all, barring something totally out of the blue?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
kldickson said:
Let's speculate!

Let's read forum rules.

Whoops. I'll clarify what I said, then - I wanted to discuss what's been ruled out and what theories being tossed around definitively don't quite work.

kldickson said:
Let's speculate!

For background, I am a neurobiology student. Ergo, I've got the requisite chem n' o-chem under my belt. (Would like to fit in some biochem, but I don't know if that's possible right now.)

From my own perousing of the material on the internet, it seems that carbon is really the only molecule we can do much of anything with, considering it's the easiest molecule to bond to 4 atoms stably and it's so freaking common. Silicon and phosphorus-nitrogen have been suggested, but neither system is stable enough to evolve life (because life always takes the easy way out; what that is is frequently beyond the comprehension of us idiot humans).

So - the anti-carbon-'chauvinism' movement is bunk. However, there's the question of chirality, and can carbon-based life require different sets of nutrients? Arsenic compounds, etc?

What characteristics can be regarded to be 'universal' as regards carbon-based life - i.e. there is no way we can presently think of that they can be contravened at all, barring something totally out of the blue?

Plausibility argument instead?

Perhaps consider nitrogen fixation from interaction with magma; phosphorus chemistry leading to phosphates such as for polynucleotide bonds, and phospholipid membranes; mix with thermal gradients, purines, pyrimidines and amino acids, and enormous chemical time for nature to explore the space of endless possibilities. Might it not seem so implausible here and on Mars (has hematite oxidized iron; requires past oxygen atmosphere), as long as a magnetophere persists?

Zankaon, those molecules have carbon as a central element.

1. What is speculative biochemistry?

Speculative biochemistry is a field of study that explores the possibility of alternative biochemical systems that could exist on other planets or in other environments beyond Earth.

2. Why is Earth just one planet not enough for studying biochemistry?

Studying biochemistry on Earth only gives us a limited understanding of the potential biochemical systems that could exist in the vast universe. By exploring speculative biochemistry, we can broaden our understanding of the diversity of life and the potential for extraterrestrial life.

3. How does speculative biochemistry differ from traditional biochemistry?

Traditional biochemistry focuses on the biochemical processes and systems that exist on Earth. Speculative biochemistry, on the other hand, considers the possibility of different molecular structures, elements, and environments that could support life.

4. Can speculative biochemistry help us find extraterrestrial life?

While speculative biochemistry cannot directly lead us to the discovery of extraterrestrial life, it can guide us in our search by expanding our understanding of the potential forms and structures that life could take on other planets.

5. What are some current research areas in speculative biochemistry?

Some current research areas in speculative biochemistry include studying alternative biochemical building blocks, such as silicon or boron, and exploring the potential for life in extreme environments, such as on other planets or moons in our solar system.