Is There an Alternative to "In Terms of"?

• Thread starter _Mayday_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terms
In summary, "In terms of", often used to introduce a topic, is filler and should be avoided. Alternatives include "regarding" or "such as".
_Mayday_
I'll cut to the chase.

I find myself using the phrase 'in terms of' alot. I will say something and then say in terms of followed by the topic I am referring to.

Is there an alternative to this? If so I need it!

Thanks!

_Mayday_

Physics news on Phys.org
If you find yourself saying this over and over, then it's just a meaningless "filler." Just taking up space in your conversation. You can probably just delete it without replacing it with anything.

Otherwise, "regarding" or "such as" could suffice in some cases. "With respect to" means the same thing. "Vis a vis" (pronounced "vee za vee") is a good one, but never use it more than once a week.

"As is the case with" is OK conversationally, but very poor in written communication.

do you:

1) say it 'on purpose' ?

2) or does it slip out, you notice it, and you really don't want to say it?

There are certain words and connecting phrases I use frequently. I notice it most often when I am typing up my responses here. Conversationally it's not so bad. Most people do it. That's why it's a major focus in writing faux pas. If you just take some time to think about it when ever you encounter yourself using a habitual turn of phrase you'll likely come up with an alternative.

Habitual words/phrases in this post...
"certain"
"most often"
"likely"

Well, duh !, actually, you see, it's like this, you know... a word that, I mean, so to speak, basically, most certainly puts things into context, OK ? Now, anyway, wait ! Let's see... Gee !, what was I saying ?

humanino said:
Well, duh !, actually, you see, it's like this, you know... a word that, I mean, so to speak, basically, most certainly puts things into context, OK ? Now, anyway, wait ! Let's see... Gee !, what was I saying ?

:rofl:

As long as you avoid the terms "basically", "literally", "give it 110%" and "take it to the next level" you're OK by me.

Well, you got to do what you got to do, and such. At the end of the day, all that really matters is what by and large we have and hold dearly.

DaveC426913 said:
As long as you avoid the terms "basically", "literally", "give it 110%" and "take it to the next level" you're OK by me.

Haha! I hate that!

rewebster said:
do you:

1) say it 'on purpose' ?

2) or does it slip out, you notice it, and you really don't want to say it?

I say it on purpose, it all sounds good and I won't over do it in a conversation. I just get a bit annoyed with my lack of variation.

Thanks for your help guys!

_Mayday_

1. What is "In Terms of" and why is there a need for an alternative?

"In Terms of" is a phrase commonly used in scientific writing to introduce a new topic or concept. It can become repetitive and lack creativity, leading to a need for alternative ways to express the same idea.

2. What are some alternatives to "In Terms of"?

Some alternatives to "In Terms of" include "With regards to," "Concerning," "Regarding," "In relation to," and "In reference to." These phrases can help add variety and clarity to scientific writing.

3. How can I determine which alternative to use in my writing?

The best alternative to use will depend on the context of your writing and the tone you want to convey. Consider the overall flow and purpose of your writing and choose an alternative that fits best.

4. Are there any situations where "In Terms of" is still appropriate to use?

Yes, there may be situations where "In Terms of" is the most appropriate phrase to use. For example, when discussing specific measurements or units, "In Terms of" may provide the clearest and most concise language.

5. Can I use more than one alternative throughout my writing?

Yes, it is perfectly fine to use a variety of alternatives to "In Terms of" in your writing. However, be mindful not to overuse them and to maintain a consistent tone and style throughout your writing.