Speed and Velocity in relation to Postition

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of position, velocity, and speed and whether or not the dot product can be applied to show that speed is perpendicular to the position function. It is concluded that speed is not a vector and therefore the dot product cannot be applied in this way. The expression "speed is perpendicular" also does not make sense since speed is a scalar and does not have a direction associated with it.
FreshTrooper
I was going through my basic definitions of postion (in terms of paths), velocity, and speed. The problem I am running into is this:

if you can prove by definition of dot product when velocity is perpendicular to the postion function and that velocity exists, does this mean speed is perpendicular to the position function as well.

So far I just proved to my self that if the angle is 90, cos(90) gives 0, and thus dot product of the postion and velocity is zero. Can the dot product be applied to speed to show speed is perpendicular as well?

Physics news on Phys.org
In short, speed is not a vector. If v is a scalar, and w is not, it makes no sense to dot v and w. Geometrically, speed is the length of the velocity vector.

For something to chew on, consider the following:

In one dimensional motion, say constrained to the x-axis, then if velocity is perpendicular to position, then (x,0,0)[itex]\cdot[/itex](v,0,0)=xv=0 implies x or v is zero.

Last edited:
FreshTrooper said:
Can the dot product be applied to speed to show speed is perpendicular as well?

It's not (only) that the dot product cannot be applied to speed to find the angle.
The expression "speed is perpendicular" does not make sense to start with. Speed is a scalar so does not have a direction associated.

Related to Speed and Velocity in relation to Postition

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed refers to how fast an object is moving, while velocity includes the direction of the movement. In other words, speed is a scalar quantity and velocity is a vector quantity.

How is speed calculated?

Speed is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. The formula for speed is speed = distance/time.

How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the displacement (change in position) by the time it took to make that displacement. The formula for velocity is velocity = displacement/time.

How does the position of an object affect its speed and velocity?

The position of an object does not affect its speed, as speed is solely determined by the distance traveled and time taken. However, the position does affect the velocity, as velocity takes into account the direction of an object's movement.

Can an object have a constant speed but changing velocity?

Yes, an object can have a constant speed but changing velocity. This is because velocity not only considers the magnitude of speed, but also the direction of the object's movement. So if an object is moving in a circular path at a constant speed, its velocity is constantly changing as it changes direction.