Speed involving speed of sound?

In summary, the ball was traveling at a speed of 91.3m/s when it hit the drum, based on a distance of 65.8m and a time delay of .72s. By subtracting the time it took for sound to travel from the total time, it was determined that the ball took .53s to reach the drum, allowing for the calculation of its speed using the equation speed=distance/time.
hannah2329

Homework Statement

shoot a ball at a drum 65.8 meters away from you. you hear the impact .72 seconds later. if the speed of sound on that day was 340m/s how fast must the ball be traveling?

Homework Equations

speed=distance/time

The Attempt at a Solution

i found that the ball was traveling at 91.3m/s by taking 65.8/.72 but I am not sure how to pair that with the speed of sound to get the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
hannah2329 said:

Homework Statement

shoot a ball at a drum 65.8 meters away from you. you hear the impact .72 seconds later. if the speed of sound on that day was 340m/s how fast must the ball be traveling?

Homework Equations

speed=distance/time

The Attempt at a Solution

i found that the ball was traveling at 91.3m/s by taking 65.8/.72 but I am not sure how to pair that with the speed of sound to get the answer.

The .72s is the time it took for the ball to get to the drum plus the time it took the sound to come back to you. Calculate the two halves of this separately, starting with the second one.

im still confused. what equation would i use to involve the speed of sound number?

hannah2329 said:
im still confused. what equation would i use to involve the speed of sound number?

speed = distance / time

i still have no idea. an i supposed to take half of the .72? for the time it took to hit and the time it took the sound to get to you?

You know how far the sound waves traveled and the speed at which they traveled. You should be able to figure out the time it took with those two pieces of information.

so i take 340=65.8/t and i get that it took .19 seconds? but i don't know what to do with that because I'm not looking for a time I'm looking for a speed.

If the total time it takes for the ball to travel plus the sound to return to you is .72 s and you calculate the time the sound takes to be .19 seconds, how long did it take the ball to reach the drum? How can you use that time to figure out how fast the ball was traveling?

ahh i finally got it right with one try left. :) thank you.

FAQ: Speed involving speed of sound?

1. What is the speed of sound?

The speed of sound is the rate at which sound waves travel through a medium. In dry air at 20 degrees Celsius, the speed of sound is approximately 343 meters per second.

2. How does the speed of sound vary in different mediums?

The speed of sound varies depending on the properties of the medium it travels through. For example, sound travels faster in solids than in liquids or gases. It also travels faster in warmer temperatures.

3. What factors affect the speed of sound?

The speed of sound can be affected by the temperature, density, and elasticity of the medium it travels through. It is also influenced by the presence of obstacles or changes in the medium, such as changes in air pressure or humidity.

4. How does the speed of sound impact communication and sound perception?

The speed of sound plays a crucial role in communication and sound perception. It determines how quickly sound travels from its source to the listener, and therefore affects the timing and quality of the sound we hear. It is also important in fields such as music and engineering.

5. Can the speed of sound be measured and calculated?

Yes, the speed of sound can be measured and calculated using various methods and equations. For example, the time it takes for an echo to return can be used to calculate the speed of sound. Additionally, the speed of sound can be calculated using the equation: speed of sound = frequency x wavelength.