How Fast Was the Car Going Before Braking?

In summary: I think you meant t=2.74 seconds.In summary, at 2.74 seconds the car's speed is 14 meters per second.
r26h

Homework Statement

A car comes to a stop in 7.5 meters while braking at a rate of 2.0m/s each second.
A) What was the initial speed of the car?
B) What is the speed of the car after 0.5 seconds?

Homework Equations

Final velocity = Initial velocity + acceleration*time

The Attempt at a Solution

A) 0=Initial velocity+(-2)(7.5)
Initial velocty = 15 m/s

B)0=15+(-2)(.5)
Velocity=14m/s

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
r26h said:

Homework Statement

A car comes to a stop in 7.5 meters while breaking at a rate of 2.0m/s each second.
Braking at a rate of 2.0 m/s each second sounds like a deceleration.
A) What was the initial speed of the car?
B) What is the speed of the car after 0.5 seconds?

Homework Equations

Final velocity = Initial velocity + acceleration*time

The Attempt at a Solution

A) 0=Initial velocity+(-2)(7.5)
Initial velocty = 15 m/s
Did you check the units of this calculation? I don't think 2.0 m/s per second multiplied by 7.5 meters will give an answer in seconds
B)0=15+(-2)(.5)
Velocity=14m/s

A "breaking" car is on which goes to pieces. A "braking" car is one which comes to a stop using its brakes.

. Final velocity = Initial velocity + acceleration*time
This equation requires the stopping time; you are told the stopping distance.

Ok, so what if to find the time I did 7.5m/ 2s/m = 3.75 seconds.

Then used that equation:
0=Initial velocity + (-2m/s)(3.75s)
So the initial speed is 7.5m/s? Does that make sense?

r26h said:
Ok, so what if to find the time I did 7.5m/ 2s/m = 3.75 seconds.
I guess you mean 7.5m/(2m/s), but you must not go plugging values into equations just because you know an equation that wants inputs of that type. You have to think about whether the equation is appropriate to the circumstance. What standard equation did you invoke to arrive at that calculation? What do the variables in the equation represent?

Ok, I see my error. What if I used Vf^2=Vi^2+2ax, rearranged to Vi=Square root of (Vf-2ax)
=square root (0-2(-2)(7.5)
initial velocity=square root of 30 or about 5.48 meters/second

To find the time, next I used Vf=Vi+at
0=5.48m/s +(-2m/s)(t)
-5.48m/s==2t
t=2.74s

Then which equation would I use to find the speed at 0.5 seconds?

r26h said:
To find the time, next I used Vf=Vi+at
0=5.48m/s +(-2m/s)(t)
-5.48m/s==2t
t=2.74s

Then which equation would I use to find the speed at 0.5 seconds?
You are not asked for the time to stop, are you? But the equation you used will also tell you the speed after a given time.

1. What factors affect the speed of a braking car?

The speed of a braking car is affected by several factors such as the weight of the car, the condition of the brakes, the road surface, and the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road. Other factors that can affect the speed of a braking car include the angle of the road, the weather conditions, and the driver's reaction time.

2. How does the weight of a car affect its braking speed?

The weight of a car plays a significant role in its braking speed. A heavier car requires more force to stop due to its increased inertia. This means that it will take longer for a heavier car to come to a complete stop compared to a lighter car.

3. Can the condition of the brakes affect the speed of a braking car?

Yes, the condition of the brakes can greatly affect the speed of a braking car. Worn out brake pads or discs can decrease the friction between the brakes and the wheels, making it more difficult for the car to slow down or stop. It is important to regularly check and maintain the brakes to ensure safe and efficient braking.

4. How does the road surface impact the speed of a braking car?

The road surface can have a significant impact on the speed of a braking car. A rough or uneven road surface can decrease the friction between the tires and the road, making it harder for the car to slow down or stop. On the other hand, a smooth and dry road surface can provide better traction, allowing the car to brake more effectively.

5. What is the role of the coefficient of friction in the speed of a braking car?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces in contact. In the context of a braking car, it refers to the friction between the tires and the road. A higher coefficient of friction means more grip, which can help the car to come to a stop faster. However, the coefficient of friction can vary depending on the road surface and weather conditions, so it is important for drivers to adjust their braking accordingly.