Speed of catching a falling ruler

In summary, the conversation discusses a piece of coursework that involves comparing reaction times of catching a ruler with and without a certain variable. The group is having trouble calculating the exact amount of time it takes for a person to catch the ruler. The equations used include those for gravitational potential energy, kinetic energy, and speed. The final solution is found using the equation s = (1/2)gt^2, with g being approximately equal to 9.8m/s^2. The resulting reaction time is between 1 and 2 tenths of a second. There is also discussion about using equations of uniform motion to solve problems involving acceleration.
bobbajobb

Homework Statement

Okay, I've been set a piece of coursework to compare the reaction times of catching a ruler, with, or without a certain variable. (I've chosen either eye.)
I'm having trouble working out the exact amount of time it takes the person to catch the ruler. (Yeah, I have attempted it. :) )

Homework Equations

(Explained in section 3.)

The Attempt at a Solution

The ruler weighs 0.025kg.

I hold the ruler at 1.04m. (An average of 10 times holding the ruler at a neutral position)

To calculate the gravitational potential energy I do:

0.025 x 1.04 x 10

This gives me = 0.26 (Joules)

The ruler falls 12 cm, (the person caught it at 18cm)

So 0.025 x 0.12 x 10 = the kinetic energy = 0.03

The formula for speed is :

Speed squared = kinetic energy/(0.5 times the weight)

0.03 divided by 0.0125 = 2.4

The square root of 2.4 = 1.549193338

To two decimal places = 1.55m/s

And if the ruler traveled 12 cm at 1.55m/s

0.12/1.55 = 0.0774 seconds……

I must have gone wrong somewhere...because I swear its 'physically' (pun intended) impossible for them to catch it that quickly?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the ruler falls 12cm you find the time taken using
S=ut + ½gt²
s=12cm, that is 0.12m
g=9.8m/s²
and u=0 if it started from rest.
The reaction time will be between 1 and 2 tenths of a second, which seems about right.

Sorry, would you mind using words to write it out? This is only GCSE so I'm not too good with all the proper letters and stuff :(

so, you are using work- kinetic energy theorem. I'm trying to understand your problem, if anywhere I go wrong then let me know by posting here.

The ruler weighs 0.025kg.

so m = 0.025 kg

I hold the ruler at 1.04m.

so h = 1.04 m

To calculate the gravitational potential energy I do:

0.025 x 1.04 x 10

This gives me = 0.26 (Joules)

Correct!
The ruler falls 12 cm, (the person caught it at 18cm)

I'm unable to understand this sentence and your solution from here. And most probably you are wrong from here. Also remember that potential energy is calculated from the bottom. I mean height is calculated from the ground level. so if the body falls 12 cm then potential energy will be mg (h -12). Secondly, loss in potential energy is equal to gain in kinetic energy.

Ahhh sorry. The way the test works is that I hold the '30cm' mark directly above their fingers, so its almost touching. So the person's fingers are on '18cm' on the ruler.

And as you might have seen. I don't actually use the potential energy at all, I'm just showing that I know how to, to gain extra marks.

bobbajobb said:
Sorry, would you mind using words to write it out? This is only GCSE so I'm not too good with all the proper letters and stuff :(

Have you done the equations of uniform motion at GCSE yet? See below.
If you are trying to use kinetic and potential energy considerations you will not get the time directly.

There is a set of 4 equations you can use to solve problems of objects accelerating when you know some of these:
s=distance travelled
t=time taken
u=initial velocity
v=final velocity
a=acceleration
I mentioned one of them in my post. This was the one to use in this case. g is acceleration due to gravity, =9.8m/s/s

okay, then potential energy at the point where you stop the scale is

= 0.025 * 10 * 0.92

= 0.23 Joule

Now loss in energy = 0.26 - 0.23

=0.03 Joule

This much energy is converted into kinetic energy

0.03 = (1/2) 0.025. v^2

v = sqrt of (2 * 0.03)/0.023

Now try to calculate. But remember don't trust blindly on me cause I'm noob like you in physics.

on second line 0.92 is because the height of the scale from the ground is (1.04 - 0.12) m

The weight or mass and energy don't enter into this problem at all. Basically all you're doing is measuring how far the ruler falls before the other person catches it. From this distance you can calculate the person's reaction time. The governing equation is s = (1/2)gt2, with g ~ 9.8 m/sec2.

Guys I'm seriously confused now :(
So is what I'm doing in my original post...correct? Or at least somewhat? I don't need to go into detail about drag or anything for GCSE do i...?

What I'm trying to say is...have I just gone about it in a different way? Could someone use the g ~ 9.8m/sec^2 thing for my example in my first post and see if it gets the same outcome?

so I should continue with my last post.

after calculation, I've got v = 1.61 m/s

Now v = u + a.t

1.6 = 0 + 10 t

t = 1.6/10

t = 0.16 second.

Or you can also get this result by using equation

v^2 = u^2 + 2.a.s

v^2 = 2*10*0.12

then apply,

v = u + a.t

Or simply you can use as told by most of here,

s = u*t + (1/2) a* t^2

=> s = (1/2)a * t^2

=> 0.12 = (1/2) 10 * t^2

=> t = 0.154 second

Last edited:

Related to Speed of catching a falling ruler

1. What is the speed of catching a falling ruler?

The speed of catching a falling ruler can vary, as it depends on several factors such as the length and weight of the ruler, the distance it is dropped from, and the reaction time of the person catching it. However, on average, the speed can range from 2-5 meters per second.

2. How is the speed of catching a falling ruler measured?

The speed of catching a falling ruler can be measured using a stopwatch and a ruler with marked measurements. The person catching the ruler should start the stopwatch as soon as the ruler is dropped and stop it as soon as they catch it. The distance traveled by the ruler can then be divided by the time taken to catch it, giving the speed in meters per second.

3. Does the length of the ruler affect the speed of catching it?

Yes, the length of the ruler can affect the speed of catching it. A longer ruler will have a higher speed as it falls due to its larger surface area and weight. This can also make it more challenging to catch, as it will require quicker reflexes.

4. What is the relationship between the speed of catching a falling ruler and reaction time?

The speed of catching a falling ruler is directly related to the reaction time of the person catching it. A faster reaction time will result in a higher speed of catching the ruler, while a slower reaction time will result in a lower speed. This is because the person with a faster reaction time will be able to start moving to catch the ruler sooner.

5. Can the speed of catching a falling ruler be increased?

The speed of catching a falling ruler can be increased by improving reaction time and practicing catching skills. Exercises such as hand-eye coordination drills and reflex training can help improve reaction time. Additionally, practicing catching objects of different weights and sizes can also help improve the speed of catching a falling ruler.