Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of light (from redshifted galaxies)

1. Aug 19, 2013 #1
    1) Are there any experiments/measurements of speed of light from distant (redshifted) galaxies?
    2) Are there any experiments/measurements of luminosity distance of bodies moving away relative to us?
    3) Where can I find type 1A supernova data (redshift and luminosity distance) for low z measurements, and high z.
    So far i found few docs in arxiv: "NEW HUBBLE SPACE TELESCOPE DISCOVERIES OF TYPE Ia SUPERNOVAE AT z>=1:"
    and "Observational Evidence from Supernovae for an Accelerating Universe and a Cosmological Constant"
    About 50 type 1A supernovas. Is there more recent and complete list?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2013 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Do you doubt that the speed of light from distant galaxies is c ?

4. Aug 19, 2013 #3
    Well, I'm not rejecting any possibility. Experimental verification would clear my doubts. Some theoretical physicists are arguing about that.

5. Aug 19, 2013 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Can you provide a reference for any physicists who doubt that light in a vacuum travels at c ?

6. Aug 19, 2013 #5
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  7. Aug 19, 2013 #6

Mentz114

Gold Member

Only one of the three authors of those papers is in a physics department ( U. of Hull, UK). I get the impression that none of them undertstand or have any regard for GR and are looking for explanations that are not needed or plausible.

Questions about the speed of light over large distances cannot be studied whilst ignoring effects of curved spacetime.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook