Speed of light (from redshifted galaxies)

In summary, there have been discussions and papers written about the possibility of the speed of light changing over time or distance, but these theories are not widely accepted and are still being debated. Currently, there is no experimental evidence to support these theories. Additionally, questions about the luminosity distance of bodies moving away from us must take into account the effects of curved spacetime and cannot be studied without considering these effects. There is no recent or complete list of type 1A supernova data for both low and high redshift measurements, but some papers, such as "NEW HUBBLE SPACE TELESCOPE DISCOVERIES OF TYPE Ia SUPERNOVAE AT z>=1:" and "Observational Evidence from Supernovae for an Acceler
Myslius
1) Are there any experiments/measurements of speed of light from distant (redshifted) galaxies?
2) Are there any experiments/measurements of luminosity distance of bodies moving away relative to us?
3) Where can I find type 1A supernova data (redshift and luminosity distance) for low z measurements, and high z.
So far i found few docs in arxiv: "NEW HUBBLE SPACE TELESCOPE DISCOVERIES OF TYPE Ia SUPERNOVAE AT z>=1:"
and "Observational Evidence from Supernovae for an Accelerating Universe and a Cosmological Constant"
About 50 type 1A supernovas. Is there more recent and complete list?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Myslius said:
1) Are there any experiments/measurements of speed of light from distant (redshifted) galaxies?

Do you doubt that the speed of light from distant galaxies is c ?

Well, I'm not rejecting any possibility. Experimental verification would clear my doubts. Some theoretical physicists are arguing about that.

Myslius said:
Well, I'm not rejecting any possibility. Experimental verification would clear my doubts. Some theoretical physicists are arguing about that.

Can you provide a reference for any physicists who doubt that light in a vacuum travels at c ?

Myslius said:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/physics/0406104.pdf
http://arxiv.org/pdf/astro-ph/0101455v2.pdf
http://arxiv.org/pdf/0908.1539v1.pdf

I think we might split the problem into two: c changing over time, and c changing over distance.

Also, question 2) bothers me the most:
2) Are there any experiments/measurements of luminosity distance of bodies moving away relative to us?
Only one of the three authors of those papers is in a physics department ( U. of Hull, UK). I get the impression that none of them undertstand or have any regard for GR and are looking for explanations that are not needed or plausible.

Questions about the speed of light over large distances cannot be studied whilst ignoring effects of curved spacetime.

1. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant in physics, denoted by the letter c. In a vacuum, it is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second or about 670,616,629 miles per hour.

2. How does the speed of light relate to redshifted galaxies?

The speed of light is important when studying redshifted galaxies because it is used to calculate the distance and speed of these galaxies. Redshift is the phenomenon where light from an object appears more red (or shifted towards the longer wavelengths) due to its motion away from us. By measuring this shift, we can determine the speed at which the galaxy is moving away from us.

3. Can the speed of light be exceeded?

According to the current laws of physics, the speed of light is considered to be the maximum speed that can be achieved by any particle or object. However, there are theories that suggest the existence of particles called tachyons that can travel faster than the speed of light, but there is no experimental evidence to support this idea.

4. How does the speed of light impact our understanding of the universe?

The speed of light plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe. It is used in many equations and theories, such as Einstein's theory of relativity, to explain the behavior of matter and energy in the universe. It also allows us to study distant objects and events in space by analyzing the light that reaches us from them.

5. Has the speed of light always been constant?

According to our current understanding, the speed of light has been constant throughout the history of the universe. However, there are some theories that suggest it may have been different in the early stages of the universe. Scientists continue to study and research this topic to gain a better understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe.