1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Speed of moving mass as it loses mass

1. Feb 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A Freight Car of Mass M contains a mass of sand m. At t=0, a constant horizontal force i applied in the direction of rolling, and at the same time a port in the bottom is opened to let the sand flow out at a constant rate dm/dt. Find the speed of the freight care when all the sand is gone. Assume the car is at rest at t=0

2. Relevant equations
    F= ma
    mv = mv - conservation of momentum?

3. The attempt at a solution
    If there were no sand leaking from the bottom of the train, then the train would be accelerating at a constant acceleration because F= (M+m)a and the masses would be constant. However, the mass is changing, so the acceleration will be increasing over time. I'm just not sure how I can put these into a mathematical answer

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi lei123! Welcome to PF! :wink:
    Just do it step by step …

what is the mass at time t? …

what is the acceleration at time t? :smile:

4. Feb 12, 2010 #3

ehild

Homework Helper

The momentum is not conserved as there is an external force, and also the mass is changing. Moreover, F=ma is valid for a body of constant mass. Newton formulated his second law in a more general form, so it was valid even for changing mass:

"The change of momentum of a body is proportional to the impulse impressed on the body, and happens along the straight line on which that impulse is impressed."

F*dt = d (mv)

that is F = d(mv)/dt = v*dm/dt +m*dv/dt.

ehild

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook