Speed of sound through a plate

In summary, the speed of sound through a plate is dependent on the material, thickness, and temperature of the plate. Generally, sound travels faster through denser and stiffer materials, and slower through thinner and less rigid materials. Temperature also plays a role, as sound travels faster through warmer materials. This phenomenon is important in various industries, such as aerospace and engineering, where the speed of sound through materials is a crucial factor in designing and testing products.
saurabh_2110
Speed of sound through a plate!

Hi,

I wanted to know the formula for the transverse velocity and longitudinal velocity of sound through a rectangular plate.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!..

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

saurabh_2110 said:
Hi,

I wanted to know the formula for the transverse velocity and longitudinal velocity of sound through a rectangular plate.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!..

Thanks

What is the context? And what do you mean by transverse and longitudinal velocity?

What is the plate made of? Seems like you're looking for numbers, not formulas.

Well the plate could be made of any material. It would use the Young's modulus, poisson's ratio and density. I have some formulas but I am not sure about them

Longitudnal = sqrt(E/(rho*(1-nu^2)))
Transverse (Bending) = ((2*pi*f)^2*B/rho/h)^(1/4)

where, E = Young's Modulus,
rho = density;
nu = poisson's ratio
f = frequency
B = Bending stiffness of plate

The context is that, I need these velocities to find sound transmission loss through a plate. These formulas weren't stated very explicitly, so I'm not quite sure...
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

saurabh_2110 said:
Well the plate could be made of any material. It would use the Young's modulus, poisson's ratio and density. I have some formulas but I am not sure about them

Longitudnal = sqrt(E/(rho*(1-nu^2)))
Transverse (Bending) = ((2*pi*f)^2*B/rho/h)^(1/4)

where, E = Young's Modulus,
rho = density;
nu = poisson's ratio
f = frequency
B = Bending stiffness of plate

The context is that, I need these velocities to find sound transmission loss through a plate. These formulas weren't stated very explicitly, so I'm not quite sure...
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

I googled speed of sound in solids, and got some pretty good hits. Check out the hit list to see if these are any help:

http://www.google.com/search?source...LL_enUS301US302&q=velocity+of+sound+in+solids

Thanks berkeman...but most of this is with reference to longitudinal velocity. The usual way is to divide the bulk modulus by the density and then take its square root...
But for the transverse or bending wave velocity??..Im still a little confused...

1. What factors affect the speed of sound through a plate?

The speed of sound through a plate is primarily affected by the material of the plate, its thickness, and the temperature and humidity of the surrounding environment. Other factors such as the direction of sound propagation and the presence of any defects or imperfections in the plate can also affect the speed.

2. How is the speed of sound through a plate measured?

The speed of sound through a plate can be measured using various techniques such as the pulse-echo method, the resonance method, or the ultrasonic method. These methods involve sending an ultrasonic wave through the plate and measuring the time it takes for the wave to travel through the plate and return to the source.

3. What is the relationship between the speed of sound through a plate and its thickness?

The speed of sound through a plate is directly proportional to its thickness. This means that as the thickness of the plate increases, the speed of sound also increases. This relationship is due to the fact that thicker plates have more material for the sound waves to travel through, resulting in a longer path and thus a longer travel time.

4. Can the speed of sound through a plate be changed?

Yes, the speed of sound through a plate can be changed by altering the properties of the plate, such as its material or thickness. For example, different materials have different speeds of sound, so using a plate made of a different material can change the speed. Additionally, changes in temperature and humidity can also affect the speed of sound through a plate.

5. What are some applications of studying the speed of sound through a plate?

The study of the speed of sound through a plate has various applications in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and construction. It is used to test the integrity and quality of materials used in these industries, as well as for non-destructive testing and evaluation of structures. It also has applications in medical imaging, where sound waves are used to create images of the human body.