Speed of sound through a plate

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 5K views
saurabh_2110
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Speed of sound through a plate!

Hi,

I wanted to know the formula for the transverse velocity and longitudinal velocity of sound through a rectangular plate.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!..

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org


saurabh_2110 said:
Hi,

I wanted to know the formula for the transverse velocity and longitudinal velocity of sound through a rectangular plate.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!..

Thanks

What is the context? And what do you mean by transverse and longitudinal velocity?
 


What is the plate made of? Seems like you're looking for numbers, not formulas.
 


Well the plate could be made of any material. It would use the Young's modulus, poisson's ratio and density. I have some formulas but I am not sure about them

Longitudnal = sqrt(E/(rho*(1-nu^2)))
Transverse (Bending) = ((2*pi*f)^2*B/rho/h)^(1/4)

where, E = Young's Modulus,
rho = density;
nu = poisson's ratio
f = frequency
B = Bending stiffness of plate

The context is that, I need these velocities to find sound transmission loss through a plate. These formulas weren't stated very explicitly, so I'm not quite sure...
Any help will be greatly appreciated!
 


saurabh_2110 said:
Well the plate could be made of any material. It would use the Young's modulus, poisson's ratio and density. I have some formulas but I am not sure about them

Longitudnal = sqrt(E/(rho*(1-nu^2)))
Transverse (Bending) = ((2*pi*f)^2*B/rho/h)^(1/4)

where, E = Young's Modulus,
rho = density;
nu = poisson's ratio
f = frequency
B = Bending stiffness of plate

The context is that, I need these velocities to find sound transmission loss through a plate. These formulas weren't stated very explicitly, so I'm not quite sure...
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

I googled speed of sound in solids, and got some pretty good hits. Check out the hit list to see if these are any help:

http://www.google.com/search?source...LL_enUS301US302&q=velocity+of+sound+in+solids

.
 


Thanks berkeman...but most of this is with reference to longitudinal velocity. The usual way is to divide the bulk modulus by the density and then take its square root...
But for the transverse or bending wave velocity??..Im still a little confused...