Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of sound through a plate

1. Sep 13, 2010 #1
    Speed of sound through a plate!!

Hi,

I wanted to know the formula for the transverse velocity and longitudinal velocity of sound through a rectangular plate.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated!..

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Re: Speed of sound through a plate!!

What is the context? And what do you mean by transverse and longitudinal velocity?

4. Sep 13, 2010 #3

What is the plate made of? Seems like you're looking for numbers, not formulas.

5. Sep 14, 2010 #4

Well the plate could be made of any material. It would use the Young's modulus, poisson's ratio and density. I have some formulas but im not sure about them

Longitudnal = sqrt(E/(rho*(1-nu^2)))
    Transverse (Bending) = ((2*pi*f)^2*B/rho/h)^(1/4)

where, E = Young's Modulus,
    rho = density;
    nu = poisson's ratio
    f = frequency
    B = Bending stiffness of plate

The context is that, I need these velocities to find sound transmission loss through a plate. These formulas weren't stated very explicitly, so I'm not quite sure...
    Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

6. Sep 14, 2010 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I googled speed of sound in solids, and got some pretty good hits. Check out the hit list to see if these are any help:

http://www.google.com/search?source...LL_enUS301US302&q=velocity+of+sound+in+solids

7. Sep 14, 2010 #6

Thanks berkeman....but most of this is with reference to longitudinal velocity. The usual way is to divide the bulk modulus by the density and then take its square root.....
    But for the transverse or bending wave velocity??..Im still a little confused....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook