1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed with work energy theorem

1. Oct 8, 2015 #1
    image.jpg 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

3. The attempt at a solution

I was wondering if I did something wrong for the 50m. I did the same process of finding the area under the line. I'm assuming it's possible to get the same speed since the net work is the same.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, it will be the same as for 20.

4. Oct 9, 2015 #3
    The 50m cannot be checked because it has a variable force from 20-50 and no longer a constant acceleration

5. Oct 9, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not sure what you mean. Do you mean it cannot be checked analytically? It can. You would need to express the variable force as a function of x and integrate with respect to x to find the work done.

6. Oct 9, 2015 #5
    It says explain why Newton's second law and the constant acceleration kinematics equations cannot be used to check for the 50m

7. Oct 9, 2015 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, but that says using "constant acceleration" kinematics. As you say, it is not constant acceleration. But it can be checked analytically by using kinematics that cope with variable acceleration because the nature of that variation is known exactly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted