Speedbump problem and center of velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses the mathematical equation for a speedbump on a level road, which is y = h/2 * (1+cos(pi * x/b)). The equation for the entire journey is y_G = 1/2 * h/2 * (1+cos(pi * x/b)), where B is the length of the road covered by the bump. There is confusion about how this equation was derived and its connection to the speed of the center. Further reading is suggested to understand this concept.
Susanne217

Homework Statement

if a speedbump on a level road has the mathematical equation

[tex]y = h/2 \cdot (1+cos(\pi \cdot x/b)) [/tex]

where B is the length of the road covered by the bump.

If a car starts a point G just before the bump at a speed v then supposedly

the equation of the entire journey is

[tex]y_G = 1/2 \cdot h/2 \cdot (1+cos(\pi \cdot x/b)) [/tex]

What I don't get how do they arrive at that

[tex]y_G = 1/2 \dot y[/tex]

I am told its something with speed of center?

What can I read more about that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations y = h/2 \cdot (1+cos(\pi \cdot x/b)) The Attempt at a Solution I'm really stuck here, I can't figure out how the equation was arrived at

1. What is the speedbump problem?

The speedbump problem refers to a situation in which an object or vehicle travels over a speedbump or obstacle, causing a change in its velocity.

2. How does a speedbump affect the center of velocity?

A speedbump can cause the center of velocity to shift, depending on the location and size of the speedbump. This shift can affect the overall velocity and movement of the object or vehicle.

3. What factors can influence the speedbump problem?

The size and shape of the speedbump, as well as the speed and mass of the object or vehicle, can all influence the speedbump problem. Other factors such as the angle of approach and the condition of the road can also play a role.

4. How can the speedbump problem be minimized or avoided?

There are a few ways to minimize or avoid the speedbump problem, such as reducing the speed of the object or vehicle, choosing a different path with no speedbumps, or using shock-absorbing materials on the speedbumps themselves.

5. Are there any practical applications for studying the speedbump problem and center of velocity?

Yes, understanding the speedbump problem and center of velocity can be useful in designing roads and speedbumps to optimize traffic flow and reduce wear and tear on vehicles. It can also be applicable in sports and other activities where sudden changes in velocity occur.