How Long Does It Take for a Police Car to Catch a Speeder?

• Thread starter goluigi2196
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, the police car reaches the speeder after traveling for a total of 1.5 seconds. The speeder gets a distance of .5 before being overtaken by the police car.
goluigi2196
A speeder passes a parked police car at 30.0 m/s. The police car starts from rest with a uniform acceleration of 2.60 m/s2.

(a) How much time passes before the police car reaches the speeder?

(b) How far does the speeder get before being overtaken by the police car?

Relevant equations:
v=vo+at

v2=vo2+2a[itex]\Delta[/itex]x

well...i drew a picture of the situation and wrote the givens...but I'm not sure where to go from there...

i mainly want HOW to solve this problem rather than the answer itself...

Physics news on Phys.org
Write the position as a function of time for each. (You'll need a different kinematic formula.)

you need to equal the distances of the police car and the car.

What i mean is, solve for distance with both and join the equations (as both equal distances), then solve for time...

so i should use x=vot+0.5at^2?

goluigi2196 said:
so i should use x=vot+0.5at^2?
Yes.

p=police
s=speeder

so would i do this?

vopt+[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]apt=vost+[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]ast

because the time will be the same, right?

and then i use the "t" time and find the displacement?

i meant .5apt^2 and .5ast^2

Good. So what is the initial velocity and the acceleration for each?

Here’s what Galileo stated (verbatim) in the Chapter titled THIRD DAY, which pertains to your scenario:

[208]

THEOREM I, PROPOSITION I

“The time in which any space is traversed by a body starting from rest and uniformly accelerated is equal to the time in which that same space would be traversed by the same body moving at a uniform speed whose value is the mean of the highest speed and the speed just before acceleration began.”

By manner of the associated proportionalities of Galileo’s Theorem I, Proposition I, it is realized that you’ve been given the uniform speed (constant velocity) by which Galileo refers to as the mean of the highest and lowest velocities that will be achieved by the accelerating police car (0 m/s and 60 m/s) per this scenario. Since 30 m/s is the given mean velocity of the car at its constant velocity, it’s realized that 60 m/s is the accelerating police car’s highest velocity.

Therefore, the quickest way to derive the intercept distance (s) is by applying the 60 m/s velocity (v) that will be achieved by the police car per its rate of acceleration (a) via the following simplistic kinematics equation:

s = (v)^2 / 2 / a

If you afterward apply the appropriate kinematics equation per use of the intercept distance (s) and acceleration (a), you can easily derive the intercept time (t).

You will find that the time (t) of the accelerating police car and the time (t) required by the car traveling at constant velocity are the same time (t) just as both vehicles have traversed the same distances (s) upon intercept hence, the nature of Galileo’s Theorem I, Proposition I, and the reason I provided it.

If you had applied the given 30 m/s constant velocity (v) of the car to derive the distance (s) at which the police car would finally match the velocity of the car (not intercept), it is a simple matter of quadrupling that distance (s) to derive the intercept distance (s).

1. What is considered speeding and how do police officers determine if someone is speeding?

Speeding is defined as driving over the posted speed limit or driving at a speed that is unsafe for the current road conditions. Police officers use tools such as radar guns, laser guns, and pacing methods to determine if a driver is speeding. They may also use their judgment based on the flow of traffic and the driver's behavior.

2. How much over the speed limit can I go before it is considered speeding?

It is important to note that any amount over the posted speed limit is considered speeding. However, some jurisdictions have a "buffer zone" where drivers may not be ticketed for going a few miles per hour over the limit. This varies by location and is ultimately up to the discretion of the police officer.

3. What are the consequences of getting caught speeding?

The consequences of getting caught speeding vary depending on the severity of the offense and the jurisdiction. In most cases, a speeding ticket will result in a fine and points on your driving record. If the speeding is excessive or if you have previous offenses, you may also face license suspension, higher insurance rates, and even jail time.

4. Can I fight a speeding ticket if I believe I was wrongly accused?

Yes, you have the right to contest a speeding ticket if you believe you were wrongly accused. You can do this by pleading not guilty and going to court or by hiring a lawyer to represent you. It is important to gather evidence and have a strong defense if you choose to fight a speeding ticket.

5. Are there any ways to avoid getting pulled over for speeding?

The best way to avoid getting pulled over for speeding is to follow the speed limit and drive safely. Additionally, you can use cruise control to maintain a consistent speed, pay attention to speed limit signs, and watch for speed traps. It is also important to regularly maintain your vehicle to ensure it is in proper working condition, as this can also help prevent accidents and potential speeding violations.