How does the density of water affect a sphere dipped in it?

In summary, the conversation discusses the factors that determine the force of buoyancy on an object as the temperature changes. Two cases are considered: when the object is a shell that floats on the water, and when it is a solid sphere that sinks to the bottom of the vessel. It is agreed that if the object is a metallic shell floating on water, the force of buoyancy remains the same even with a temperature increase. The conversation also discusses the rate of expansion of the volume of the metal and the volume of the shell in this scenario. The conversation then moves on to discussing thermal expansion and how it relates to the volume of the object and the water. The final question is whether it is possible for an object to expand by absorbing heat without
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

sphere.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

There can be two cases

1) The sphere might be a shell such that it floats on the water .When the temperature increases , even though density of water decreases , the force of buoyancy should remain same . Because force of buoyancy should be equal to the weight of the sphere at all times .

2) If it is a solid sphere , then it will sink and reach the bottom of the vessel. The volume of sphere will increase but the density of water decreases . So in the expression for force of buoyancy Vρg , V increases , but ρ decreases . So how can we conclusively say , which factor dominates ?

Attachments

• sphere.jpg
    sphere.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 692
Physics news on Phys.org
Jahnavi said:
The sphere might be a shell such that it floats on the water .
True, but it is not clear whether that is allowed in the question. "Dipped" suggests to me that it is fully submerged, whether by virtue of its own weight or by being held down.
Jahnavi said:
2) If it is a solid sphere , then it will sink and reach the bottom of the vessel. The volume of sphere will increase but the density of water decreases . So in the expression for force of buoyancy Vρg , V increases , but ρ decreases . So how can we conclusively say , which factor dominates ?
I agree. It depends whether the water or the aluminium expands more. Maybe you are expected to look that up.

Likes Jahnavi
haruspex said:
True, but it is not clear whether that is allowed in the question. "Dipped" suggests to me that it is fully submerged, whether by virtue of its o

Fair enough :smile:

I will rule this out . But would you agree if it were a metallic shell floating on water , then on increasing temperature , the force of buyancy remains same ?

Would you also agree that in this case (metallic shell floating ) the rate of increase of volume of metal will be exactly equal to the rate of decrease of density of water such that force of buoyancy remains same ?

haruspex said:
I agree. It depends whether the water or the aluminium expands more. Maybe you are expected to look that up.

Volumetric coefficient of aluminium is roughly 3 times less than that of water , which means water expands more . This means force of byuoyancy decreases on heating water i.e option b) . Do you agree ?

Jahnavi said:
would you agree if it were a metallic shell floating on water , then on increasing temperature , the force of buyancy remains same ?
Yes.
Jahnavi said:
in this case (metallic shell floating ) the rate of increase of volume of metal will be exactly equal to the rate of decrease of density of water
Increase of submerged volume, yes.
Jahnavi said:
Volumetric coefficient of aluminium is roughly 3 times less than that of water , which means water expands more . This means force of byuoyancy decreases on heating water i.e option b) . Do you agree ?
Yes.

Likes Jahnavi
haruspex said:
Increase of submerged volume,

I meant the same :smile:

But in case of the metallic shell , there are two types of volumes , volume of the shell i.s (4/3)πr3 AND volume of the metal . In calculating force of byuoyancy we use the former but while calculating thermal expansion we use the latter . Right ?

So in case of metallic shell , the rate of expansion of volume of metal will be such that the rate of expansion of volume of shell will be equal to the rate of decrease of volume of water . Right ?

Jahnavi said:
while calculating thermal expansion we use the latter
A uniform sphere expands uniformly. The sphere will expand to the same new radius whether solid or hollow.

Likes Jahnavi
haruspex said:
A uniform sphere expands uniformly. The sphere will expand to the same new radius whether solid or hollow.

OK . So in case of the shell , in the equation Vt = V0(1+γ∆t) , volumes , Vt and V0 are the volumes of the space occupied/enclosed by the shell and not the volume of the material(metal) ??

Jahnavi said:
OK . So in case of the shell , in the equation Vt = V0(1+γ∆t) , volumes , Vt and V0 are the volumes of the space occupied/enclosed by the shell and not the volume of the material(metal) ??
Right.

Likes Jahnavi
Thanks !

@haruspex , please see a similar problem .
container.png

I don't understand what is the need in the question to state that there is no change in the shape of the object . Could you explain this .

Even if there is a change in the volume of an object , since heat could exchange only between water and object , the temperature of object has to increase . Isn't it ?

Is it possible for an object to expand by absorbing heat but without increase in its temperature ? The answer is no . Then why is there a need for that statement .Irrespective of the change in volume of the object , if the temperature of water falls , then temperature of the object has to increase i.e option a) .

What do you think ?

Attachments

• container.png
    container.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 668
Please clear another doubt from an illustration given in the book . If you remember , I had asked a similar question earlier on the forum . Since this is an example , this has left me wondering if their logic is correct .

block.jpg

Don't you think , correct answer should be option b) ? Since more air is pumped in , the density of air increases which results in increased buoyant force due to air . Since weight of the block is same , this leads to a smaller buoyant force from the water .

Their assumption of Patm both at the top of the block and at the surface of water is not correct .

Please let me know what you think .

Attachments

• block.jpg
    block.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 630
Jahnavi said:
@haruspex , please see a similar problem .
View attachment 225267

I don't understand what is the need in the question to state that there is no change in the shape of the object . Could you explain this .

Even if there is a change in the volume of an object , since heat could exchange only between water and object , the temperature of object has to increase . Isn't it ?

Is it possible for an object to expand by absorbing heat but without increase in its temperature ? The answer is no . Then why is there a need for that statement .Irrespective of the change in volume of the object , if the temperature of water falls , then temperature of the object has to increase i.e option a) .

What do you think ?
It is not completely clear what changes are allowed. Can it be an object which is externally solid and constant in shape, but need not be so internally?
I note that options c and d are not mutually exclusive. If you have to pick one then they seem to be ruled out on that basis.

Jahnavi said:
Please clear another doubt from an illustration given in the book . If you remember , I had asked a similar question earlier on the forum . Since this is an example , this has left me wondering if their logic is correct .

View attachment 225269

Don't you think , correct answer should be option b) ? Since more air is pumped in , the density of air increases which results in increased buoyant force due to air . Since weight of the block is same , this leads to a smaller buoyant force from the water .

Their assumption of Patm both at the top of the block and at the surface of water is not correct .

Please let me know what you think .
There are several awkwardnesses in the question. You are quite right that the increased air density will cause the wood to rise, if the wood is airtight and rigid. But what if air can seep in, raising the weight? Or if the wood compresses, raising the density?

Likes Jahnavi
haruspex said:
Can it be an object which is externally solid and constant in shape, but need not be so internally?

How does that matter ?

Since the temperature of water falls and there is no way the heat could be exchanged except the "solid" object , the temperature of the solid object has to increase irrespective of the change in its shape. No ?

haruspex said:
But what if air can seep in, raising the weight?

Where ? Air seep in wood ?

Jahnavi said:
Where ? Air seep in wood ?
Yes. Water can seep in slowly; maybe air can seep in faster.

Jahnavi said:
How does that matter ?
What is inside might not be solid at all times.

haruspex said:
What is inside might not be solid at all times.

You mean change of phase such that all heat is absorbed without increasing the temperature ?

Jahnavi said:
You mean change of phase such that all heat is absorbed without increasing the temperature ?
Yes.

haruspex said:
Yes.

OK . Assuming that is not the case (complete solid object at all times of heat transfer), do you agree that shape of the object is irrelevant and temperature of object has to increase ?

Jahnavi said:
OK . Assuming that is not the case (complete solid object at all times of heat transfer), do you agree that shape of the object is irrelevant and temperature of object has to increase ?
Yes.

Likes Jahnavi
Thank you very much :smile:

1. How does the density of water affect the buoyancy of a sphere dipped in it?

The density of water determines how much force it exerts on an object, which affects the buoyancy of the sphere. If the density of the sphere is greater than that of water, it will sink. If the density of the sphere is less than that of water, it will float.

2. How does the shape of the sphere affect its density in water?

The shape of the sphere does not directly affect its density in water. However, the density of the material the sphere is made of can affect its overall density in water.

3. How does the size of the sphere affect its density in water?

The size of the sphere can affect its density in water if the material it is made of is not evenly distributed throughout the sphere. A larger sphere with the same amount of material will have a lower density than a smaller sphere with the same amount of material.

4. How does temperature affect the density of water and therefore the buoyancy of the sphere?

Temperature has a significant impact on the density of water. As water is heated, its density decreases, making it less buoyant. This means that a sphere will sink more in warm water than in cold water.

5. Does the depth at which the sphere is submerged affect its buoyancy due to the density of water?

The depth at which the sphere is submerged does not directly affect its buoyancy due to the density of water. However, the pressure at different depths can compress the sphere, changing its overall density and therefore its buoyancy in water.