Spherical Co-Ordinate Integral

In summary, the problem involves integrating a complex equation over three variables, with the ultimate goal of getting the equation F(q^{2})=\frac{m^2}{m^2+q^2}. The integral involves integration by parts and a substitution of x = cos theta. The challenge lies in getting rid of the exponential factor in order to reach the desired answer.
Ayame17

Homework Statement

I'm trying to integrate the following:

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^\pi \int_0^r \frac{m^2r}{4\pi} e^{-r(m+iqcos\theta)} sin\theta dr d\theta d\phi [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, the question wasn't just that, my attempt was to get this far!

I know that [tex] \int_0^{2\pi} d\phi [/tex] can just sit off to one side to be put in later, since there is no [tex]\phi[/tex] in the equation. Trying to do the next integral in, however, has proved difficult. I'd have to use integration by parts, since [tex]\theta[/tex] appears twice, but since I have an exponential and [tex]sin\theta[/tex] will just go around to [tex]cos\theta[/tex] and back again, I don't see how it will work. Any help will be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try substituting x = cos theta (this is a common trick in theoretical physics, so remember it!)

I've had a play around with that and, although it gives quite a nice number, I know the answer I need but can't seem to reach it...I've been told that I should get:

[tex]F(q^{2})=\frac{m^2}{m^2+q^2}[/tex]

The problem being, my integral still has an exponential factor - I'm not sure how to make it disappear!

1. What is a spherical coordinate integral?

A spherical coordinate integral is an integral that is evaluated in spherical coordinates, which are a system used to describe points in three-dimensional space using a distance from the origin, an azimuth angle, and a polar angle. It is often used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving spherical symmetry.

2. How is a spherical coordinate integral different from a regular integral?

A spherical coordinate integral is different from a regular integral in that it is evaluated in a different coordinate system. Instead of using the traditional x, y, and z coordinates, a spherical coordinate integral uses the distance r, azimuth angle θ, and polar angle φ to describe a point in three-dimensional space.

3. What is the formula for a spherical coordinate integral?

The formula for a spherical coordinate integral is: ∫∫∫ f(r, θ, φ) r² sin(φ) dr dθ dφ, where r is the distance from the origin, θ is the azimuth angle, φ is the polar angle, and f(r, θ, φ) is the function being integrated.

4. What are some common applications of spherical coordinate integrals?

Spherical coordinate integrals are commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving spherical symmetry. This includes calculating the electric field of a point charge, the gravitational potential of a spherical mass distribution, and the force of a magnetic field on a charged particle moving in a circular path.

5. How do you evaluate a spherical coordinate integral?

To evaluate a spherical coordinate integral, you first need to determine the limits of integration for each variable (r, θ, and φ). Then, you can use techniques such as substitution or integration by parts to solve the integral. It is helpful to convert the integral to Cartesian coordinates if the function being integrated is simpler in that system.