Spherical distance computation

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the angles of 6 points on a sphere, with one point in the middle and the others arranged in a cross shape. The outer points are a certain distance from the center point. The axis system is defined and the sphere is rotated around different axes. The question is about finding the angles between the points and the center point after rotation. The physical application is a 5 hole probe used for measuring flow angles. The speaker is seeking help with investigating misalignment along the X axis. In response, it is suggested to deduce motion from 3 other points relative to the fixed coordinates.
seuren83
Hi,

I want to calculate the angle of 6 point on a sphere. Five points are aranged in a cross, one point in the middle, and one on each side. All outer points are delta degrees distance from the center point. Define the axis going through the center point and the center of the sphere as X. The axis going throught the center of the sphere parallel to on pair of opositely placed points as Y and the a third one completing a right handed axis system.

Now I rotate the sphere by gamma about the X axis. Then I rotate around the original Y axis by alpha and then around the original Z axis by beta.

What are the angles between all five points and the original center point, call them theta1 to theta5

Without the rotation gamma, I managed to find this:

cos(gamma) = cos(alpha(+_delta))*cos(beta(+_delta))

But with the rotation around I have no clue.

The physical link is a 5 hole probe, or turbulence probe, where the angle between the points (pressure ports) and the original center point (airflow stagnation point) determines the pressure that is measured at the pressure port. This device can determine flow angles with only pressure measurements. I have to investigate the misalignment along the X axis, and I could use some help.

Thanks a lot,
Sören

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Very good, you deduced that a 3 point coordinate system does not work! You must deduce motion from 3 other points relative to your basic 3 'fixed' coordinates. Does that help?

Thanks for the response, I forgot about my post, sorry.

1. What is spherical distance computation?

Spherical distance computation is a mathematical method used to calculate the shortest distance between two points on the surface of a sphere, such as the Earth. It takes into account the curvature of the sphere and uses a variety of formulas, including the Haversine formula, to determine the distance.

2. Why is spherical distance computation important?

Spherical distance computation is important in a variety of fields, including geography, navigation, and astronomy. It allows us to accurately measure distances on a curved surface and can be used to calculate things like flight paths, shipping routes, and celestial distances.

3. How is spherical distance computation different from Euclidean distance computation?

Euclidean distance computation is based on the Pythagorean theorem and is used to calculate distances on a flat surface. Spherical distance computation takes into account the curvature of the sphere and uses different formulas to calculate distances on a curved surface.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of spherical distance computation?

The accuracy of spherical distance computation can be affected by factors such as the precision of the input data, the formula used, and the size of the sphere being measured. Additionally, factors like atmospheric conditions and gravitational variations can also have a small impact on the accuracy.

5. Are there any limitations to spherical distance computation?

While spherical distance computation is a useful tool, it does have its limitations. For example, it assumes a perfect sphere, which is not always the case for objects like the Earth. It also does not take into account factors like terrain or obstacles, which can affect the actual distance between two points on the surface.