Spherical Harmonics (QM)

In summary, the conversation discusses how to express the function ##\psi(\theta,\phi)## in terms of spherical harmonics ##Y_{lm}## in order to find the angular momentum. It is determined that the function can be written as a sum of terms of the form ##e^{im\phi}##, which leads to a simplified equation for finding the coefficients. The conversation also addresses the relevance of the ##\theta## dependence in this problem.
Safinaz

1. Homework Statement
upload_2015-9-13_12-23-43.png

Homework Equations

Here we have to express ##\psi(\theta,\phi)## in terms of spherical harmonics ##Y_{lm}## to find the angular momentum.

If ##\psi(\theta,\phi) = i \sqrt{\frac{3}{4\pi}} \sin{\theta} \sin{\phi} ##, it can be written as:
$$ \frac{i}{\sqrt{2}} (Y_{1,1}- Y_{1,-1})$$
since :
## Y_{1,\pm1} = \mp \sqrt{\frac{3}{8\pi}} \sin{\theta} e^{\pm i \phi}##,

But now as ##\psi(\theta,\phi)## has ##\sin{3 \phi}## instead of ##\sin{ \phi}##, how will it be represented ?S.

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, since [itex]L_z = -i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial \phi}[/itex], the [itex]\theta[/itex]-dependence is irrelevant. So the real question is: how do you write [itex]sin 3\phi[/itex] as a sum of terms of the form [itex]e^{i m \phi}[/itex]?

## \sin{3\phi} = \frac{e^{3i\phi } - e^{-3i\phi } }{2i} ## , but alternatively I want to express ## \sin{3\phi} ## in terms of ## \sin{\phi} ## (I guess ), in order to use ##Y_{1,\pm 1}##. Also I tried to find any ##Y_{lm}## defined by ## \sin{m\phi} ## or ## e^{\pm3i\phi } ## but I didn't find, look for example at Table : 5.2 " [Nouredine_Zettili]_Quantum_Mechanics_Concepts ". So any ideas ..

Safinaz said:
## \sin{3\phi} = \frac{e^{3i\phi } - e^{-3i\phi } }{2i} ## , but alternatively I want to express ## \sin{3\phi} ## in terms of ## \sin{\phi} ## (I guess ), in order to use ##Y_{1,\pm 1}##. Also I tried to find any ##Y_{lm}## defined by ## \sin{m\phi} ## or ## e^{\pm3i\phi } ## but I didn't find, look for example at Table : 5.2 " [Nouredine_Zettili]_Quantum_Mechanics_Concepts ". So any ideas ..

Why do you want to write it in terms of [itex]Y_{1, \pm 1}[/itex]? In general, you write a function [itex]f(\theta, \phi)[/itex] in the form:

[itex]f(\theta, \phi) = \sum_{m l}C_{lm} Y_{lm} (\theta, \phi)[/itex]

Since each [itex]Y_{lm} \propto e^{im\phi}[/itex], there are only two terms involved in the sum over [itex]m[/itex]: [itex]m=\pm 3[/itex]. So your case boils down to:

[itex]sin(\theta) sin(3 \phi) = \sum_l (C_{l, +3} Y_{l, +3} + C_{l, -3} Y_{l, -3})[/itex]

You don't actually need to solve for the coefficients [itex]C_{l, \pm 3}[/itex]

To elaborate on what steven said, you could find the coefficients ##C_{lm}## by using the orthogonality of the spherical harmonics:
$$C_{lm} = \int Y^*_{lm}(\theta,\phi) \psi(\theta,\phi)\,d\Omega.$$ Try evaluating the phi integral, and you'll see why ##m=\pm 3## and why the ##\theta## dependence doesn't really matter in this problem.

1. What are spherical harmonics?

Spherical harmonics are a set of mathematical functions used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles in a spherical potential, such as the electron in an atom. They are derived from the solution to the Schrödinger equation and represent the spatial distribution of an electron's wavefunction.

2. How are spherical harmonics used in quantum mechanics?

Spherical harmonics are used to describe the probability distribution of an electron's position in an atom, as well as its angular momentum and energy levels. They are also used in calculations of atomic and molecular properties, such as ionization energies and spectroscopic transitions.

3. Can you give an example of a spherical harmonic function?

One example of a spherical harmonic function is the 3d orbital of an electron in an atom, which has the shape of a dumbbell with two lobes pointing along the x, y, or z axes. Other examples include the 1s, 2p, and 3d orbitals in an atom.

4. How are spherical harmonics related to the quantum numbers in an atom?

The quantum numbers in an atom, namely the principal quantum number (n), angular momentum quantum number (l), and magnetic quantum number (m), are used to label the different spherical harmonic functions for each electron in an atom. The values of these quantum numbers determine the shape, orientation, and energy of the electron's wavefunction.

5. Are spherical harmonics used in other fields of science?

Yes, spherical harmonics are used in a variety of fields outside of quantum mechanics, including electromagnetism, acoustics, and geophysics. They are also used in image and signal processing to analyze and manipulate data in a spherical coordinate system.