Is the Chain Rule Applied to Spherical Polar Coordinates Different?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding various partial derivatives, including ##\delta x/\delta r##, ##\delta r/\delta x##, and ##\partial f/\partial x##. There is also a mention of using the chain rule to find these derivatives, as well as the importance of correctly formatting equations in LaTeX. The conversation concludes with a discussion on how to find partial derivatives using matrices or solving linear systems of equations.
physconomics
Homework Statement
##x=r sin\theta cos\phi, y=rsin\theta sin\phi, z=rcos\theta##
Find ##\delta f/\delta x##and##\delta r/\delta x## treating r as a function of the cartesian coordinates
Given f is a function of r only, show
##\delta f^2/\delta x = (x/r)(df/dr)##
and
##\delta ^2 *f/\delta x^2 = (1/r)(df/dr) + (x^2/r)(d/dr)(1/r)(df/dr)##
Relevant Equations
?
Ive found ##\delta x/\delta r## as ##sin\theta cos\phi##
##\delta r/\delta x## as ##csc\theta sec\phi##
But unsure how to do the second part? Chain rule seems to give r/x not x/r?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
physconomics said:
Ive found ##\partial f\over \partial x## as ##\sin\theta \cos\phi##
You can't mean that. Independent of ##f## ?

physconomics said:
Ive found ##\delta f/\delta x## as ##sin\theta cos\phi##
##\delta r/\delta x## as ##csc\theta sec\phi##
But unsure how to do the second part? Chain rule seems to give r/x not x/r?

Please show your actual work, not just your end result.

Also, note that ##\partial## is written \partial in LaTeX.

BvU said:
You can't mean that. Independent of ##f## ?
Sorry, I meant ##\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}##

physconomics said:
Sorry, I meant ##\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}##
It is not true for partial derivatives that ##\partial x/\partial r = (\partial r/\partial x)^{-1}##

Orodruin said:
Please show your actual work, not just your end result.
And then we will try to work our way through this very relevant exercise :smile: .

Orodruin said:
It is not true for partial derivatives that ##\partial x/\partial r = (\partial r/\partial x)^{-1}##
Okay, so how else would I get ##\partial x/\partial r##?

Invert the transformation
$$x=r \sin\theta \cos\phi, \quad y=r\sin\theta \sin\phi, \quad z=r\cos\theta$$ to $$r = ...(x, y,z),\quad \phi = ...,\quad \theta = ...$$

(advice: use \sin and \cos, \log etc in ##\LaTeX##)

BvU said:

x=rsinθcosϕ,y=rsinθsinϕ,z=rcosθx=rsin⁡θcos⁡ϕ,y=rsin⁡θsin⁡ϕ,z=rcos⁡θ​

to

r=...(x,y,z),ϕ=...,θ=...r=...(x,y,z),ϕ=...,θ=...​
(advice: use \sin and \cos, \log etc in LATEXLATEX)
Okay so I get
r=√x2+y2+z2r=x2+y2+z2
##\theta = \cos^{-1} (\frac {z} {\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2})##
ϕ=tan−1(yx)ϕ=tan−1⁡(yx)

Am I right in thinking this makes

∂r∂x=sinθcosϕ∂r∂x=sin⁡θcos⁡ϕ?

But there are tricks available -- ah you are on a good track. Differentiating ##r^2 = x^2 + y^2 + z^2## is easier to deal with.

Use \sqrt { ...} and always preview to check parentheses are right.

BvU said:
But there are tricks available -- ah you are on a good track. Differentiating ##r^2 = x^2 + y^2 + z^2## is easier to deal with.

Use \sqrt { ...} and always preview to check parentheses are right.
Oh god of course, thank you.
So ##\frac{\partial r}{\partial x} = \frac{x}{r}##
And then from that I can show
##\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial r} \frac{\partial r}{\partial x} = \frac{df}{dr}\frac{x}{r}##
Im guessing I just use the chain rule for the next part?

Sorry for the state of my LaTeX maths

Good ! Keep going ...

physconomics said:
Sorry for the state of my LaTeX maths
No need. You are obviously eager to learn and we are equally eager to assist.

BvU said:
Good ! Keep going ...

No need. You are obviously eager to learn and we are equally eager to assist.

Right so I'm a bit stuck, I'm getting ##\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(\frac{df}{dr}\frac{x}{r}) = \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(\frac{df}{dr}) \frac{x}{r} + \frac{df}{dr}\frac{1}{r} ##
where
##\frac{\partial}{\partial x}(\frac{df}{dr}) = \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(\frac{r}{x} \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}) = (\frac{-r}{x^2} \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}) + (\frac{r}{x}\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2})##
Is this correct? It doesn't lead me to the right answer

BvU said:
$$x=r \sin\theta \cos\phi, \quad y=r\sin\theta \sin\phi, \quad z=r\cos\theta$$ to $$r = ...(x, y,z),\quad \phi = ...,\quad \theta = ...$$

(advice: use \sin and \cos, \log etc in ##\LaTeX##)

It should be noted that you can do this without actually inverting the coordinate relations. The general theory is based on the chain rule. For a function of one parameter only, say ##y(x)##, you would have
$$
1 = \frac{dx}{dx} = \frac{dy}{dx} \frac{dx}{dy}.
$$
This is the reason that ##dx/dy = (dy/dx)^{-1}## in this case (just solve for ##dx/dy##). However, for functions of several variables, say ##y^i(x^1, \ldots, x^n)##, the chain rule would instead give you
$$
\delta^i_j = \frac{\partial y^i}{\partial y^j} = \sum_{k} \frac{\partial y^i}{\partial x^k} \frac{\partial x^k}{\partial y^j}.
$$
Thus, from here you cannot just divide by a factor from the RHS to obtain ##\partial x^k/\partial y^j## since what you have is a sum. However, if you define the matrices ##A## and ##B## defined as
$$
A = \begin{pmatrix}\frac{\partial x^1}{\partial y^1} & \frac{\partial x^1}{\partial y^2} & \ldots \\
\frac{\partial x^2}{\partial y^1} & \frac{\partial x^2}{\partial y^2} & \ldots \\
\vdots & \vdots & \ddots \end{pmatrix}, \qquad
B = \begin{pmatrix}\frac{\partial y^1}{\partial x^1} & \frac{\partial y^1}{\partial x^2} & \ldots \\
\frac{\partial y^2}{\partial x^1} & \frac{\partial y^2}{\partial x^2} & \ldots \\
\vdots & \vdots & \ddots \end{pmatrix},
$$
then the relation can be rewritten
$$
1_n = BA,
$$
where ##1_n## is the ##n \times n## unit matrix. In other words, ##A = B^{-1}##. Thus, if you compute all the derivatives ##\partial y^i/\partial x^j##, you can find ##\partial x^i/\partial y^j## by matrix inversion.

However, if you are unfamiliar with matrices, it is also fine to solve the linear system of equations. For example, in polar coordinates on ##\mathbb R^2##: ##x = r\cos\phi##, ##y = r\sin\phi##, you would find
$$
1 = \frac{\partial x}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial x}{\partial r} \frac{\partial r}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial x}{\partial \phi} \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x} = \cos\phi \frac{\partial r}{\partial x} - r \sin\phi \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x}
$$
and
$$
0 = \frac{\partial y}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial y}{\partial r} \frac{\partial r}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial y}{\partial \phi} \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x} = \sin\phi \frac{\partial r}{\partial x} + r \cos\phi \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x}
$$
from which you can solve directly for ##\partial r/\partial x## and ##\partial \phi/\partial x##.

Likes BvU
physconomics said:
Right so I'm a bit stuck, I'm getting ##\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(\frac{df}{dr}\frac{x}{r}) = \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(\frac{df}{dr}) \frac{x}{r} + \frac{df}{dr}\frac{1}{r} ##
where
##\frac{\partial}{\partial x}(\frac{df}{dr}) = \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(\frac{r}{x} \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}) = (\frac{-r}{x^2} \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}) + (\frac{r}{x}\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2})##
Is this correct? It doesn't lead me to the right answer
Note that
$$
\frac{\partial}{\partial x} \frac{x}{r} \neq \frac 1r
$$
as ##r## depends on ##x##.

Orodruin said:
Note that
$$
\frac{\partial}{\partial x} \frac{x}{r} \neq \frac 1r
$$
as ##r## depends on ##x##.
Is ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x} \frac{x}{r} = \frac{r - \frac{x^2}{r}}{r^2}##

physconomics said:
Is ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x} \frac{x}{r} = \frac{r - \frac{x^2}{r}}{r^2}##

Yes, although writing:

##\frac{\partial}{\partial x} \frac{x}{r} = \frac{r^2 - x^2}{r^3}##

seems a bit more logical.

1. What are spherical polar coordinates?

Spherical polar coordinates are a type of coordinate system used in mathematics and physics to describe the position of a point in three-dimensional space. They consist of a radial distance, an angle from the positive z-axis, and an angle from the positive x-axis in a horizontal plane.

2. How are spherical polar coordinates different from Cartesian coordinates?

Spherical polar coordinates use a different system of measurement than Cartesian coordinates, which use x, y, and z coordinates. Instead, spherical polar coordinates use a radial distance, an angle from the z-axis, and an angle from the x-axis in a horizontal plane. This allows for a more intuitive representation of points in three-dimensional space.

3. What is the purpose of using spherical polar coordinates?

Spherical polar coordinates are often used in physics and engineering to describe the position and movement of objects in three-dimensional space. They are particularly useful for describing spherical objects or systems, such as planets or atoms, where the Cartesian coordinate system is not as efficient.

4. How do you convert between spherical polar coordinates and Cartesian coordinates?

To convert from spherical polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates, you can use the following formulas: x = r sin θ cos φ, y = r sin θ sin φ, z = r cos θ. To convert from Cartesian coordinates to spherical polar coordinates, you can use the formulas: r = √(x² + y² + z²), θ = arccos(z/r), φ = arctan(y/x).

5. What are some real-world applications of spherical polar coordinates?

Spherical polar coordinates are used in a variety of fields, including astronomy, physics, and engineering. They are often used to describe the position and movement of objects in space, as well as in the design and analysis of spherical structures such as antennas or satellites. They are also used in geodesy to map the Earth's surface and in the study of fluid dynamics to describe the flow of fluids in spherical systems.