1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical shell doubts

1. Aug 20, 2011 #1
    So there are two concentric conducting spherical shells one with radius R and another 2R with charge +Q and +2Q respectively..... Now the two are connected by a conducting wire. Why does the entire charge flow to the outer shell?

Please clarify my doubts. I will be grateful.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2011 #2
    Once you connect the two spheres with the wire, current will flow until the potential difference between the spheres is zero. To achieve this, it's necessary the inner sphere hold no charge. If there were some charge left on the inner sphere after connecting it to the wire, there would be an electric field in the region between the two spheres. Upon integrating such a field in this region, we would end up with a potential difference, a contradiction with the original idea.

4. Aug 20, 2011 #3
    oooh, i get it... yea! thank you very much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook