Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical shock wave propagation in liquids

1. Feb 20, 2009 #1
    Dear topic mates!

I'm an electric engineer and physicist student from Hungary.

I looking for description of the spherical shock wave propagation in liquids. I need a formula which give the relationship between the propagation velocity and time. Additionally, I wonder the pressure at the shock front. Can you help me, where can I find informations? If you have a book or printed article, wihich contain relevant infomation, copy it to here, please.

Thanks, Bence

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. What course is this for? What is the context of the question?

4. Feb 20, 2009 #3
    The formulas are need for explain experimental results. The investigated waves (acoustic wave or shock wave?) are induced by laser removed metal particle in water.

I have already searched in articles and in books for the required function, but i can't find empirical formula.

5. Feb 24, 2009 #4
    Hmm have you tried a self similar or 'Taylor' solution? I believe this is the the standard way to deal analytically with shocks. It's mainly used in air, but I can't recall a reason it wouldn't work in a liquid...

6. Feb 24, 2009 #5

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This reminds me of sonoluminescence research. Try:
    Walton, Alan J "Sonoluminescence", Advances in Physics 1984, Vol 33, No. 6, 595-660
    D. Felipe Gaitan et al, "Sonoluminescence and bubble dynamics for a single, stable cavitation bubble", J. Acoust. Soc. Am 91 (6), June 1992
    Flynn, H. G.; "Physics of acoustic cavitation in Liquids", Physical Acoustics Academic, NY 1964, Vol 1, Part B

7. Mar 25, 2009 #6
    Hello Bpapdi,

you can find the general treatment of underwater shock waves in the first chapters of the book by http://www.archive.org/details/underwaterexplos00cole" [Broken] It's an old book, but still very good, and it's free.
    A good review paper that describes propagation of shock waves in liquids is http://scitation.aip.org/getabs/servlet/GetabsServlet?prog=normal&id=JAPIAU000064000001000152000001&idtype=cvips&gifs=yes" [Broken]
    Laser induced underwater shock waves is a field in which http://www.bmo.uni-luebeck.de/index.php?id=vogel_pub" has quite some publications. I would also recommend to search for "water confined laser ablation".

I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook