Spilled 1/3 bottle water onto table and laptop keyboard area....

In summary: I'm glad that you explained the joke to me, because I like jokes, and I like to get them.In summary, during a conversation about spilled water on a laptop, multiple members of the group offered advice on how to handle the situation. Some suggested using rice to absorb the water, while others recommended turning off the device and letting it air out for several days. One member made a joke about leaving the laptop on a rice website overnight. Ultimately, it was advised to disconnect all power and allow the device to dry out before attempting to use it again.
kyphysics
I was reaching for some crackers across the table. My arm tipped over a full opened bottled water that splashed about 1/3 of its contents out of it.

Of that 1/3, about 50% got on the table and the other 50% splashed across my laptop's keyboard area. I immediately reached for towels to soak everything up.

I have no idea what the inside of a laptop is like and whether water could have seeped into areas that could cause damage. I turned it off and waited 24 hours to turn back on. I'm using it now. It feels a bit slower (when browsing), but otherwise is running.

I'm going to turn it off again shortly after this post. But, just wondering if this is safe?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Many modern laptops have a membrane below the keyboard to protect the PC from dirt and water. As long as it works OK, don't worry.

Go to this page and leave it on overnight.
Should be OK by the morning.

• Haha
Likes Wrichik Basu, Keith_McClary, hutchphd and 2 others
I wanted to be the first to say, put it in (a big (10-25-50 pound) bag of) rice for 24 hours, but other members beat me to it ##-## rice is very hygroscopic (absorbs moisture) ##\dots## obviously, but still in my opinion (for safety reasons) worth saying: please do not thereafter use the rice as food if there could have been anything toxic in what could have been absorbed.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree with DaveC426913 regarding the "leave it on" part of his advisory ##-## I think that it's better to power it down, leave it off, disconnect the power supply, and if you can, remove the battery ##\dots##
DaveC426913 said:
Go to this page and leave it on overnight.
Should be OK by the morning.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Likes DaveC426913
@DaveC426913, you've given a 'sad' reaction to my post (#6), in which I respectfully disagreed with you only regarding whether to leave the machine 'on' or 'off'##-## if I'm wrong about my 'off' recommendation versus your posted 'leave it on' recommendation, could you please explain how my recommendation is wrong? Both of us recommended drying the machine out with rice, right?

I think that seepage could create new circuits, so that until the drying has occurred, it's better that no source of electrical power remain connected.

Maybe @DaveC426913 meant to type 'leave it in' rather than 'leave it on' and I'm just being too fussy about something that's really just a typo ##-## if so, I'm sorry for being such a fussy guy ##\dots##

sysprog said:
Maybe @DaveC426913 meant to type 'leave it in' rather than 'leave it on' and I'm just being too fussy about something that's really just a typo ##-## if so, I'm sorry for being such a fussy guy ##\dots##
I took it as a joke -- go to the web page of rice photos and leave it on that page overnight. I thought it was a good joke -- still do.

Likes hutchphd
^^ Wut FactChecker sed.

Likes sysprog
FactChecker said:
I took it as a joke -- go to the web page of rice photos and leave it on that page overnight. I thought it was a good joke -- still do.
Maybe instances of a cell phone or other electronic device being saved by being put in rice kept me from seeing the joke.

Likes DaveC426913
sysprog said:
Maybe instances of a cell phone or other electronic device being saved by being put in rice kept me from seeing the joke.
In hindsight, maybe a person who thinks their laptop is ruined might not appreciate a joke. Oh, well.

My little joke has now consumed 10 out of 14 (71.4%) posts in this thread, in which a member is asking for help. :sorry:

Likes Wrichik Basu and FactChecker
FactChecker said:
In hindsight, maybe a person who thinks their laptop is ruined might not appreciate a joke. Oh, well.
When someone reports a computer problem to me I want to fix it.

DaveC426913 said:
My little joke has now consumed 10 out of 14 (71.4%) posts in this thread, in which a member is asking for help. :sorry:
Didn't we already give him our (sensible, serious, good) by-rice water-absortion advice ?

With any liquid spills just turn it off immediately, remove any batteries and let it air out / dry out for severals days. With a bit of luck several days later when the liquid has evaporated you will retry it and it will come back to life. Simples.

If it doesn't then its replacement time. The quicker you can turn the unit off after the spill the less the chance of anything shorting inside it.

• Informative
Likes sysprog and Keith_McClary
MikeeMiracle said:
With any liquid spills just turn it off immediately, remove any batteries and let it air out / dry out for severals days. With a bit of luck several days later when the liquid has evaporated you will retry it and it will come back to life. Simples.

If it doesn't then its replacement time. The quicker you can turn the unit off after the spill the less the chance of anything shorting inside it.
Yes, disconnect all power, and after wiping off the surfaces with a towel, or paper towel, putting the device in dry rice is a reasonable thing to do to speed up the drying-out process ##-## sometimes that can even clear out water that continues to from-behind fog a cell phone screen ##-## as said before, rice is hygroscopic, much more so than normal-humidity air ##\dots##

Last edited:
But @DaveC426913 deserves credit for a very funny multilevel joke. Better than his average even.
And clean water is not that conducting...the thermal shock is probably equally bad but the keyboard itself is not particularly hot. So the advice was fine. Does the danged thing work now?

Likes sysprog
@hutchphd I liked @DaveC426913's joke too, although I was slow to get it ##-## I just noticed the "leave it on . . ." part, without noticing where (a rice site) he was saying to leave it (located) on, and I thought oh no leave it off.

Last edited:
Likes hutchphd

1. What should I do if I spill water on my laptop keyboard?

First, turn off your laptop immediately and unplug it from any power source. Then, carefully tilt your laptop to allow the water to drain out. Use a clean cloth or paper towel to gently dab the affected area and remove as much water as possible. Do not use a hairdryer or any other heat source to dry the keyboard, as this can cause further damage. Leave your laptop to air dry for at least 24 hours before turning it back on.

2. Will spilling water on my laptop keyboard cause permanent damage?

It depends on the amount of water spilled and how quickly you take action. If only a small amount of water was spilled and it was cleaned up promptly, there is a good chance that your laptop will still function properly. However, if a significant amount of water was spilled or it was not cleaned up immediately, there is a higher risk of permanent damage.

3. Can I use rice to dry out my laptop keyboard?

Contrary to popular belief, using rice to dry out electronics is not an effective method. In fact, rice grains can get stuck inside your laptop and cause further damage. It is best to let your laptop air dry naturally.

4. What if my laptop keyboard stops working after spilling water on it?

If your laptop keyboard is not working after spilling water on it, it is best to seek professional help. Do not try to open your laptop and fix it yourself, as this can void your warranty and cause further damage. Take your laptop to a certified technician who can properly clean and repair it.

5. How can I prevent water damage to my laptop keyboard in the future?

To prevent water damage, it is important to keep drinks and other liquids away from your laptop. If you must have a drink near your laptop, make sure it is in a spill-proof container. Additionally, consider investing in a keyboard cover or a waterproof laptop case for extra protection. Regularly cleaning and maintaining your laptop can also help prevent damage from spills.