Spin-Lattice and Spin-Spin Relaxation Time Question

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of T_2 given the delay time between 90-degree and 180-degree pulses in an NMR experiment. The equation M_{xy}(t) = M_{xy}(0) e^{-t/T_2} is used to calculate T_2 based on values for M_{xy}(t), M_{xy}(0), and t.
Athenian
Homework Statement
To find the spin-lattice relaxation time (##T_1##), I could use the below equation to get my value.

$$T_1 = \frac{T_{min}}{\ln{(2)}}$$

For the spin-spin relaxation time, however, is there a similar equation I could use as well to find for ##T_2## (i.e. the spin-spin relaxation time)?
Relevant Equations
The below equation may (or may not) come in handy.

$$M_y = M_0 e^{-t/T_2}$$
$$\ln{(I(t))} = \ln{(I_0)} - \frac{t}{T_2}$$

Note that ##I(t)## is the intensity of the echo.
Please refer to the homework statement.

Or, if one would like to put it in other words, how would I go about finding ##T_2## if I know the delay time between 90-degree and 180-degree pulses? Is there an equation that helps solve this succinctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Athenian said:
Or, if one would like to put it in other words, how would I go about finding ##T_2## if I know the delay time between 90-degree and 180-degree pulses? Is there an equation that helps solve this succinctly?

can you define "delay time between 90-degree and 180-degree pulses" for a person who doesn't know nmr? what experiment does that describe? The question boils down to what values can you plug in for ##M_{xy}(t)##, ##M_{xy}(0)##and ##t##.

The ##T_2## is given using the equation

$$M_{xy}(t) = M_{xy}(0) e^{-t/T_2}$$Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relaxation_(NMR)

1. What is Spin-Lattice Relaxation Time?

Spin-Lattice Relaxation Time, also known as T1, is the time it takes for the majority of spins in a system to return to their equilibrium state after being perturbed by an external magnetic field.

2. What is Spin-Spin Relaxation Time?

Spin-Spin Relaxation Time, also known as T2, is the time it takes for the coherence between spins in a system to decay after being perturbed by an external magnetic field.

3. How do Spin-Lattice and Spin-Spin Relaxation Times differ?

Spin-Lattice and Spin-Spin Relaxation Times differ in terms of the physical processes that contribute to their decay. T1 is primarily affected by interactions between the spins and their surroundings, while T2 is primarily affected by interactions between the spins themselves.

4. What factors can affect Spin-Lattice and Spin-Spin Relaxation Times?

Spin-Lattice and Spin-Spin Relaxation Times can be affected by various factors such as temperature, magnetic field strength, and the chemical composition of the surrounding environment.

5. How are Spin-Lattice and Spin-Spin Relaxation Times measured?

Spin-Lattice and Spin-Spin Relaxation Times can be measured using techniques such as Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) or Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI). These techniques involve applying a magnetic field to a sample and monitoring the decay of the spin signals over time.