Why is the spin of hydrogen atom 1/2 in NMR spectroscopy?

In summary, the hydrogen atom, which is made of an electron and a proton, does not necessarily have a spin of 1/2. It can have a spin of either 0 or 1, depending on the isotope. The 1/2+ notation in the Wikipedia article refers to the nuclear spin and parity. The electron spin is only important in certain contexts like laser cooling and NMR spectroscopy.
learning_phys
if the electron has spin 1/2 and proton has spin 1/2, why is the hydrogen atom (which is made of the electron and proton) have spin of 1/2?

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't. Hydrogen can have a spin of either 0 or 1.

Assuming we mean the isotope whose nucleus has one proton and no neutrons.

Weird. I noticed it says Spin 1/2+. I don't know what the + is supposed to mean.

I believe that the 1/2+ is the nuclear spin and parity.

can you add electron and nuclear spin? I thought they were completely different.

When we talk about the spin of hydrogen, we are talking about the spin of the hydrogen nucleus (i.e. a proton). The electron doesn't figure into this.

Thanks for clarifying everybody.

FYI, when laser cooling is used to make Bose-Einstein condensates with atoms, the electron and nuclear spins both figure into determining whether the atom is a boson or fermion.

Ygggdrasil said:
When we talk about the spin of hydrogen, we are talking about the spin of the hydrogen nucleus (i.e. a proton). The electron doesn't figure into this.

you mean the other way around? electron spin matters since it's intrinsic magnetic moment is much greater than the hydrogen nucleus. this is because the proton mass >> electron mass

Most of the time I've heard people discuss the spin of hydrogen is in the context of NMR spectroscopy, a technique that measures the energy differences between nuclear spin states in the presence of a magnetic field. For this technique, the spin of the electrons are not important.

Related to Why is the spin of hydrogen atom 1/2 in NMR spectroscopy?

1. What is the spin of a hydrogen atom?

The spin of a hydrogen atom refers to the intrinsic angular momentum of the atom's electron. It is a quantum property that can have a value of either +1/2 or -1/2.

2. How is the spin of a hydrogen atom measured?

The spin of a hydrogen atom can be measured using a technique called electron spin resonance, which involves exposing the atom to a magnetic field and measuring the energy levels of its electrons.

3. What is the significance of the spin of a hydrogen atom?

The spin of a hydrogen atom is significant because it is one of the fundamental quantum properties of an atom and can affect its interactions with other atoms and molecules.

4. Can the spin of a hydrogen atom be changed?

No, the spin of a hydrogen atom is a fixed quantum property and cannot be changed. However, it can be affected by external factors such as magnetic fields.

5. How does the spin of a hydrogen atom relate to its energy level?

The spin of a hydrogen atom is related to its energy level through the spin-orbit coupling effect. This means that the spin of the electron can affect the energy levels of the atom, and vice versa.