Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Spin of hydrogen atom

1. Sep 12, 2008 #1
    if the electron has spin 1/2 and proton has spin 1/2, why is the hydrogen atom (which is made of the electron and proton) have spin of 1/2?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It doesn't. Hydrogen can have a spin of either 0 or 1.

Assuming we mean the isotope whose nucleus has one proton and no neutrons.

4. Sep 12, 2008 #3
  5. Sep 12, 2008 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Weird. I noticed it says Spin 1/2+. I don't know what the + is supposed to mean.

6. Sep 12, 2008 #5

alphysicist

Homework Helper

I believe that the 1/2+ is the nuclear spin and parity.

7. Sep 13, 2008 #6
    can you add electron and nuclear spin? I thought they were completely different.

8. Sep 13, 2008 #7

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor
    2017 Award

When we talk about the spin of hydrogen, we are talking about the spin of the hydrogen nucleus (i.e. a proton). The electron doesn't figure into this.

9. Sep 13, 2008 #8

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks for clarifying everybody.

FYI, when laser cooling is used to make Bose-Einstein condensates with atoms, the electron and nuclear spins both figure into determining whether the atom is a boson or fermion.

10. Sep 14, 2008 #9
    you mean the other way around? electron spin matters since it's intrinsic magnetic moment is much greater than the hydrogen nucleus. this is because the proton mass >> electron mass

11. Sep 14, 2008 #10

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor
    2017 Award

Most of the time I've heard people discuss the spin of hydrogen is in the context of NMR spectroscopy, a technique that measures the energy differences between nuclear spin states in the presence of a magnetic field. For this technique, the spin of the electrons are not important.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook