1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spin of hydrogen atom

1. Sep 12, 2008 #1
    if the electron has spin 1/2 and proton has spin 1/2, why is the hydrogen atom (which is made of the electron and proton) have spin of 1/2?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It doesn't. Hydrogen can have a spin of either 0 or 1.

Assuming we mean the isotope whose nucleus has one proton and no neutrons.

4. Sep 12, 2008 #3
  5. Sep 12, 2008 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Weird. I noticed it says Spin 1/2+. I don't know what the + is supposed to mean.

6. Sep 12, 2008 #5

alphysicist

Homework Helper

I believe that the 1/2+ is the nuclear spin and parity.

7. Sep 13, 2008 #6
    can you add electron and nuclear spin? I thought they were completely different.

8. Sep 13, 2008 #7

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor
    2015 Award

When we talk about the spin of hydrogen, we are talking about the spin of the hydrogen nucleus (i.e. a proton). The electron doesn't figure into this.

9. Sep 13, 2008 #8

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks for clarifying everybody.

FYI, when laser cooling is used to make Bose-Einstein condensates with atoms, the electron and nuclear spins both figure into determining whether the atom is a boson or fermion.

10. Sep 14, 2008 #9
    you mean the other way around? electron spin matters since it's intrinsic magnetic moment is much greater than the hydrogen nucleus. this is because the proton mass >> electron mass

11. Sep 14, 2008 #10

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor
    2015 Award

Most of the time I've heard people discuss the spin of hydrogen is in the context of NMR spectroscopy, a technique that measures the energy differences between nuclear spin states in the presence of a magnetic field. For this technique, the spin of the electrons are not important.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?