Spin system, quantum mechanics

In summary, we are considering a spin system with noninteracting spin 1/2 particles and a magnetic field applied along the z and x directions. The Hamiltonian of the particles is given by H = H0 + V, where H0 describes the interaction of the particles with the magnetic field along the z direction and V describes the interaction with the magnetic field along the x direction. The eigenvalues and eigenkets of H0 are found to be ε0 and -ε0, respectively. To express V in terms of σ+ and σ-, we use the fact that σx = (σ+ + σ-)/2 and obtain V = (-qBxħ/4mc)(σ+ + σ-). Lastly,
phys-student

Homework Statement

Consider a spin system with noninteracting spin 1/2 particles. The magnetic moment of the system is written as:
μ = (ħq/2mc)σ
Where σ = (σx, σy, σz) is the Pauli spin operator of the particle. A magnetic field of strength Bz is applied along the z direction and a second field Bx is applied along the x direction. The Hamiltonian of the particles is:
H = H0 + V
H0 = -μzBz
V = -μxBx
a) Find the eigenvalues and eigenkets of H0
b) Express V in terms of σ+ and σ-
c) Find the eigenvalues and eigenkets of H

Homework Equations

σ+ = σx + iσy
σ- = σx - iσy
σ+ = |+><-|
σ- = |-><+|
σz|+> = 1|+>
σz|-> = -1|->

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a) I'm pretty sure I did it right
H0 = (-qBzħ/2mc)σz or H0 = ε0σz if ε0 = -qBzħ/2mc.
The operators H0 and σz commute so they have the same eigenkets |+> and |->
Using the expression for H0 and the eigenvalue equations for σz given above the eigenkets of H0 are ε0 and -ε0.
Part b I'm not so sure. I wrote the expression for V in the same way that I did for H0:
V = (-qBxħ/2mc)σx
Then using equations given above I worked out that σx = (σ+ + σ-)/2, so I subbed that into the the expression to get:
V = (-qBxħ/4mc)(σ+ + σ-)
When I try to do part c I start running into problems and I think it is because I did something in part a or b wrong. Can anyone tell me if I've made any mistakes in part a or b?

Physics news on Phys.org
phys-student said:
V = (-qBxħ/4mc)(σ+ + σ-)
That looks right.
phys-student said:
I start running into problems
What are your problems?

When I try to find the eigenvalues of H I get the expression:

(-ε0σz - (qBxħ/4mc)(σ+ + σ-))|+> = ε|+>

and I don't know how to evaluate it properly. I tried plugging these in: σ+ = |+><-|, σ- = |-><+| but I have no idea what to do after that. Are you supposed to expand it so that you're taking the eigenvalue of the first term and the eigenvalues of the second term?

Write the matrix form of ##H## using the knowledge of the matrix form of Pauli matrices. Then solve the eigenvalue problem in resulting matrix equation.

I'm not very familiar with the matrix form of Pauli matrices, it wasn't covered in this course... Do you know of a source I can read that would help?

There is an alternative route to the solution. You know that the |+> and |-> kets for a complete basis, therefore the eigenstates of H can be written as a|+> + b|->. Try solving H (a|+> + b|->) = E (a|+> + b|->) for a and b (along with proper normalization).

Pauli matrices are related to the spin matrices of spin 1/2 particles. But if you are not yet familiar with those matrices, DrClaude's suggestion above will also do the job.

Related to Spin system, quantum mechanics

1. What is a spin system in quantum mechanics?

A spin system in quantum mechanics refers to a collection of particles with intrinsic angular momentum, or "spin." This spin is a quantum property that can take on discrete values, and it plays an important role in determining the behavior and interactions of particles.

2. How is spin measured in a spin system?

Spin is traditionally measured using a quantum mechanical observable known as spin operator, which produces a set of discrete eigenvalues when acting on a particle. These eigenvalues correspond to the possible values of the particle's spin in a given direction.

3. What are some real-world applications of spin systems in quantum mechanics?

Spin systems have numerous applications in fields such as magnetism, nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) imaging, and quantum computing. For example, NMR imaging uses the spin of atomic nuclei to produce detailed images of biological and chemical structures, while quantum computers use spin as a way to store and manipulate information.

4. Can spin systems be entangled?

Yes, spin systems can be entangled, just like other quantum systems. Entanglement refers to a special state in which the properties of two or more particles become intrinsically linked, even when they are physically separated. In spin systems, entanglement can lead to interesting phenomena such as quantum teleportation and superposition.

5. How does spin affect the behavior of particles in a spin system?

The spin of particles in a spin system affects their behavior in a variety of ways. For example, it can determine how they interact with each other and with external fields, and it can also affect their energy levels and quantum states. Understanding and controlling spin is crucial in many areas of physics and technology.