Spin-wave approximation - bosonic operator question

In summary, the conversation discusses the understanding of the equation 2\delta_{k, k'}a_{k'}^{\dagger}a_{k} = a_{k}^{\dagger}a_{k} + a_{-k}^{\dagger}a_{-k} and the equation e^{-ik}a_{-k}a_{k} + e^{ik}a_{-k}^{\dagger}a_{k}^{\dagger} = \cos(k) a_{-k}a_{k} + \cos(k) a_{-k}^{\dagger}a_{k}^{\dagger}. It is explained that this occurs under the
barnflakes
Can someone explain the attached image for me please?

I do not understand how [tex]2\delta_{k, k'}a_{k'}^{\dagger}a_{k}[/tex] becomes [tex]
a_{k}^{\dagger}a_{k} + a_{-k}^{\dagger}a_{-k} [/tex] to me it should just be [tex]2a_{k}^{\dagger}a_{k}[/tex]

and also I do not understand how [tex]e^{-ik}a_{-k}a_{k} + e^{ik}a_{-k}^{\dagger}a_{k}^{\dagger} = \cos(k) a_{-k}a_{k} + \cos(k) a_{-k}^{\dagger}a_{k}^{\dagger}[/tex]

Attachments

• asd.GIF
    asd.GIF
    15.4 KB · Views: 450
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to remember that this occurs under the summation over the BZ - as the sum includes -k for every k, you can take, for example, [itex] \sum_{k \in BZ} a^\dagger_k a_k \to \sum_{k \in BZ} a^\dagger_{-k} a_{-k} [/itex] with impunity.

That is excellent, thanks theZ. However, it's still not clear to me why [tex]
e^{-ik}a_{-k}a_{k} + e^{ik}a_{-k}^{\dagger}a_{k}^{\dagger} = \cos(k) a_{-k}a_{k} + \cos(k) a_{-k}^{\dagger}a_{k}^{\dagger}
[/tex]

Can you explain that? To me it implies that [tex] a_{-k}a_{k} = a_{-k}^{\dagger}a_{k}^{\dagger}[/tex] and I don't see why that should be true. Thanks again.

As I said, you must understand the equality after summing together k, -k. Look at the creation and annihilation terms separately. For, say, the creation part, call the term to be summed, as initially written, f(k). Call the term to be summed, as the text has rewritten it, g(k). f(k) + f(-k) = g(k) + g(-k) by the definition of cosine. If the operators were fermionic, you would get i sin(k).

Excellent, I finally got it! Thank you theZ. It makes perfect sense now.

Do you also happen to know about the BSC hamiltonian?

For instance, when the BCS Hamiltonian contains the summation [tex]\sum_{\vec{k} \sigma} c_{\vec{k}\sigma}^{\dagger}c_{\vec{k}\sigma}[/tex] does this also imply summation over -k and -sigma?

Related to Spin-wave approximation - bosonic operator question

What is the Spin-wave approximation method?

The Spin-wave approximation is a theoretical approach used in condensed matter physics to study the behavior of magnetic systems. It treats the magnetic moments of the system as classical objects and considers their interactions using bosonic operators.

What is the role of bosonic operators in the Spin-wave approximation method?

Bosonic operators are used in the Spin-wave approximation method to describe the collective behavior of the magnetic moments in a system. They represent the excitations of the system, known as spin waves, and allow for the calculation of their properties.

How is the Spin-wave approximation method different from other theoretical approaches?

The Spin-wave approximation method differs from other theoretical approaches, such as mean-field theory, in that it takes into account the quantum nature of the magnetic moments and their interactions. It is also more accurate in describing the behavior of magnetic systems at low temperatures.

What are the limitations of the Spin-wave approximation method?

While the Spin-wave approximation method is useful in studying the behavior of magnetic systems, it has some limitations. It assumes that the magnetic moments are fixed in space and do not interact with each other, which may not always be the case. It also does not take into account thermal effects.

How is the Spin-wave approximation method applied in research?

The Spin-wave approximation method has been applied in various research fields, such as studying the magnetic properties of materials and investigating the behavior of spin systems in quantum computing. It has also been used to understand the behavior of magnetic materials in high-energy physics experiments.