How Do You Calculate Acceleration and Velocity in a Spinning Disk Problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses a spinning disk problem where a disk with a diameter of 0.1 m is rotating about an axis perpendicular to the disk. The questions involve determining the necessary revolutions per second for the outer edge of the disk to experience 14 g's of acceleration, the speed and period of rotation of a point halfway between the axis and edge of the disk, and the time it takes for a point on the edge of the disk to travel 1 km. The first question is solved, with a result of 8.3 seconds. The second question is also solved, with a speed of 12.45 m/min or 0.2075 m/s.
rgalvan2
Spinning Disk problem. Due tomorrow! Help please!

A disk with a diameter of 0.1 m is spinning about an axle perpendicular to the disk and running through its center.
a) How many revolutions per second would it have to rotate in order that the acceleration of the outer edge of the disk be 14 g's (i.e., 14 times the gravitational acceleration g)?

b) For the frequency determined in part (a), what is the speed of a point half way between the axis of rotation and the edge of the disk?

c) At this same frequency, what is the period of rotation of this "halfway point"?

d) How long does it take a point on the edge of the disk to travel 1 km?

I got questions a) which is 8.3 seconds.
I am stuck on b). I tried v=[tex]\omega[/tex]R. I also converted 8.3rev/s back to rpm which was 498rpm. So v=498rpm(.025m)=12.45meters/min. My answer needs to be in m/s so I divided by 60 and got .2075. It's not right. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

Never mind I got it! :)

Hello, it seems like you are on the right track with your calculations. However, there might be a small mistake in your conversion from rpm to m/s. Instead of dividing by 60, you should be dividing by 60 seconds to get the speed in meters per second. So the correct calculation would be 498 rpm x (0.025 m) x (1 min / 60 seconds) = 0.2075 m/s.

I would recommend double-checking your unit conversions and making sure to include the conversion from minutes to seconds in your calculations. Also, make sure to use the correct value for the radius (0.05 m) when solving for the speed at the halfway point.

For part c), you can use the formula T = 1/f where T is the period and f is the frequency (8.3 Hz). And for part d), you can use the formula v = d/t where v is the speed (which you have already calculated) and d is the distance (1 km). I hope this helps! Good luck with your assignment.

What is the spinning disk problem?

The spinning disk problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the angular velocity and acceleration of a disk as it spins around a central axis. It is often used as an example of rotational motion in introductory physics courses.

What are the key variables in the spinning disk problem?

The key variables in the spinning disk problem include the radius of the disk, the mass of the disk, the angular velocity, and the moment of inertia. These variables are used to calculate the angular acceleration and other properties of the spinning disk.

What are the equations used to solve the spinning disk problem?

The equations used to solve the spinning disk problem include the equation for angular velocity (ω = Δθ/Δt), the equation for angular acceleration (α = Δω/Δt), and the equation for moment of inertia (I = mr²). These equations can be used to calculate various properties of the spinning disk.

What are the common mistakes made when solving the spinning disk problem?

Common mistakes when solving the spinning disk problem include not correctly identifying the key variables, using the wrong equations, and not considering all the forces acting on the disk. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and use the correct equations and variables to come to the correct solution.

How can I improve my understanding of the spinning disk problem?

To improve your understanding of the spinning disk problem, it is important to practice solving similar problems and to review the relevant equations and concepts. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor if you are struggling with understanding the problem or its solution.