Reversing Spin: What's Behind the Physics Phenomenon?

In summary, at the end of a physics class, Prof. Walter Lewin demonstrated a spinning plastic object that abruptly changed direction. The question of why this happens was left unanswered, but resources such as Wikipedia and 4physics.com provide explanations for this phenomenon, which is known as a Rattleback.
diegocas
At the end of this class http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-01-physics-i-classical-mechanics-fall-1999/video-lectures/embed21/, Prof. Walter Lewin spins a plastic object on the table. The object starts spinning, it stops and immediately starts spinning in the opposite direction. The question is why? Why doesn't it just stop? The question is left unanswered and I could not come up with any reasonable idea. Can anyone give me a hint? I'm really puzzled by this!
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is reversing spin?

Reversing spin is a physics phenomenon in which the direction of an object's spin is reversed, causing it to rotate in the opposite direction.

2. How does reversing spin occur?

Reversing spin can occur when an external force is applied to an object, causing it to change its angular momentum and reverse its direction of rotation.

3. What are some examples of objects that exhibit reversing spin?

Objects such as tops, gyros, and satellites in orbit can exhibit reversing spin under certain conditions.

4. What are the real-world applications of reversing spin?

Reversing spin has applications in fields such as aerospace engineering, where it can be used to control the orientation and stability of satellites and spacecraft.

5. Can reversing spin be observed on a macroscopic scale?

Yes, reversing spin can be observed on a macroscopic scale in various objects such as tops and gyroscopes. It can also be observed in the motion of planets and moons in our solar system.